Windows 10 on SP3?

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by metalsiren, Oct 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. metalsiren

metalsiren Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

so has anyone taken the plunge and put Windows 10 preview on the SP3? just curious?

2. spinedoc77

spinedoc77 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Lol, I was just wondering about that. I'm tempted to. I thought I read somewhere that it trashes your recovery partition though so I'll probably wait until someone smarter than me does it.

What are the big changes anyhow? Seems like it's mostly just the start screen/menu changes.

3. Randall Garrett

Randall Garrett Scribbler - Standard Member

FWIW, I have W10TP on two SP3's - one as a fresh install, one in a VM - for testing our software and am happy to share my thoughts after we spend a little more time with it.

In the interim, WPCentral put up this quick video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xtcv71DdTGU

Hope this helps!

-Randall Garrett-
    +Apex Software+

/end/

4. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

I have it on my SP3, everything except for the pen's special functions work OOB....fan runs more so far. As far as Previews go it seems to be working well...

5. spinedoc77

Did they really get rid of the left swipe to go through recent programs? That's one of my favorite features of 8.

JoeS likes this.
  6. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

A left swipe does the same thing as Win+Tab does in the new OS- brings up the Task View:

[​IMG]

There's actually a great video to walk you through the new features if you don't want to install the build:

JoeS likes this.
  7. spinedoc77

Bleh, so far it seems like they killed tablet use to make desktop use better. I really liked being able to swipe between apps, but I guess I can get used to this. Other tablet mode uses seem crapified as well though. I can't swipe to close an app anymore, soooo... I'm back to hitting a little X in the corner? Terrible if true. Also apps aren't really "full" screen anymore, at the least they have a taskbar in the way. I liked full screen, especially in IE11 on a tablet, it was nice for the UI to get out of the way.

The big thing that I don't like here is having a lot of features from the taskbar. The issue on the SP3 is because of the keyboard design and that 2nd magnetic latch you can't really click on the taskbar with a finger very easily. Even continuum won't solve this, but it will make it worse IMO. What if I want to use my SP3 as a tablet with the keyboard attached?

I do like the start menu. Really all they had to do was add folder capability to the modern start screen, not rocket science, but they went this route and combined everything. That works, my folders will be on the left like the old windows 7 start menu and the right side will be stuff that is useful as a live tile.

Oh well, I'm going to install it and see how much I hate it. I guess I'm one of the few people out there who actually loved Windows 8 how they released it. It's in vogue now to market stupidity to consumers since iOS was introduced.

8. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

I'd miss this too, I love flipping through my open apps like that. On the other hand, once people get used to swiping down from the top to close an app and then come back to a windowed version of this exact same app, it might be disorienting when swipe down no longer works (or closes the desktop instead). Personally I'd have no problem with this, but I wonder if they might sacrifice some tablet-specific gestures for the sake of UI consistency.

To add to that, on a 4" screen device, side swipe gestures might lead to too many accidental app switches, and in Windows Phone 8.1 the top swipe is taken by the notification center. So maybe some things are going to be sacrificed to get a consistent interaction model across different screen sizes and device types.

Telstar1948 likes this.
  9. Sandiegosd

Sandiegosd Pen Pal - Newbie

The release date for Win10 is late next year. Wouldn't we have SP4 by then?

10. daver

daver Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

You forget that this is essentially the pre-alpha for their builds. A lot of features in the final product aren't in here. Where's Cortana? Where's IE 12? A lot of that isn't in there because it's either not ready yet or they've left it out intentionally so that they can get a good working demo out the door first.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.