Windows 10 on HP TouchSmart TM2

Discussion in 'HP TouchSmart TM2 (Wacom)' started by elintripido, Jun 4, 2015.

1. GiOakJoe

GiOakJoe Pen Pal - Newbie

I got the black screen and it just sits there I tried to plug in monitors to see if the display sent those but no luck I will try team viewer

2. Damian Montero

Damian Montero Pen Pal - Newbie

The full install worked on my HP TM2 (original duo core one) just fine.

If anyone is having troubule getting their windows update to do it for them microsoft was a great tool that made it work on mine (where I had done so many "force updates" that my windows update was screwed up)
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

This app from microsoft (don't download it from anywhere else) will not only install windows 10 on your laptop but will make a media (usb or dvd) version if you have a dead system you want to install windows 10 on it. But if it's dead (no os, or you want to start from scratch) have your windows 7 or 8 key handy. You don't need it to upgrade, but for a fresh install....well it's a given!

Also worked on my HP Slate 2

WIndows 10 runs like a champ. on my TM2 it crashed a couple of times on the first boot but after that this thing flies.

I have 8GIG and a 240Gb SSD so that helps. but windows 10 ROCKS! Everything flies on it!

3. MaikelMox

MaikelMox Pen Pal - Newbie

I managed to upgrade from Win8.1 to Win10 but it was quite a painful experience.

As I remember it, Win 8 would only enable the Intel onboard video and allowed you to fix things afterwards. Not this time.
    The video drivers coming with Win10 do not support graphics switching and will try to enable both video cards simultaneously (my model has Intel integrated graphics and ATI 4550 on board using ATI switchable graphics). The result is that windows loads but displays a grey screen that slowly fades to black, no normal video output, ooops!

To solve this you need to either live with the ATI graphics adapter disabled or install the Win7 drivers that do support Switchable graphics (this was the solution for Win 8 too, install old drivers in compatibility mode). The BIG problem is that you need to be able to see the windows inteface to do any of this and you have no working video output.

I partially dissasembled my laptop, disconnected the main screen cable from motherboard and was then able to get to the windows desktop using a monitor attached to the HDMI output (you cannot see the BIOS/password screen as this still would happen in the laptop screen but Win10 loads and gets you to a desktop you can actually see). From there you can uninstall the default drivers and load the old ones using the compatibility mode (I use HP drivers pack sp50254 dated from 2009).

Not easy and certainly not for everyone. It is unfortunate but I have lost all hopes that either HP or AMD will update their switchable graphics driver.

The good news is that Win 10 works absolutely superb on this old PC after it is installed properly, I just leave this comment here in the hope somebody can provide a better solution that is purely software based.

Good luck!

4. ju1da

ju1da Pen Pal - Newbie

The main problem is Net Framework. AFAIK, Net Framework 4.0 is the most compatible with our graphic card+old vga driver, without crash/black screen. Windows 10 comes with Net Framework 4.6. I have made a short experiment with Windows 7, Net Framework 4.0 (without any updating security patch) is working better than Net Framework 4.5.2 or 4.6. Many hotfix deliver by microsoft but NO GO.

5. FaultyYogurt

FaultyYogurt Pen Pal - Newbie

Has anyone been able to successfully force the graphics over to the ATI card in Windows 10?

The HP switchable graphics drivers install but now Windows refuses use those drivers - says they do not support this version of Windows. Windows update automagically installed drivers that apparently support switching on an application0level basis, but the switch to the ATI card never happens and anyway I want to manually force the switch "always on" in order to use the HDMI output.

I don't mind being forced to use only the ATI graphics card all the time...but unlike windows 7 or 8.1 I can't seem to get it to make the switch in the first place.

6. FaultyYogurt

FaultyYogurt Pen Pal - Newbie

Update: Near complete success with the new Leshcat 15.11 Beta UnifL drivers! Apparently some of the people on the Leshcat forums harrassed Microsoft and ATI about the switchable graphics problems until they changed the system.

With Leshcat's 15.11 beta drivers, dynamic switching works well (not fixed switching) and brightness works. HDMI almost works - still buggy on display updating, but it does detect the input now.

Edit: Be warned, you should read the forum thread for this driver and apply the fixes on the thread.
    http://leshcatlabs.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1126

Last edited: Nov 28, 2015
  7. deyanimay

deyanimay Scribbler - Standard Member

I haven't really followed the whole graphics drivers issue since I upgraded to windows 8, but now I'm considering going to windows 10 and I was wondering if the black screen after waking from sleep issue is still present with the latest Leshcat drivers.