Windows 10 on Dell Venue 8 Pro

Discussion in 'Dell' started by lawguy, Feb 6, 2015.

1. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

The Auto Pop-up of the keyboard works when the device is in Tablet Mode, in normal mode it has to be manually invoked. This works on both my DV8 and SP3.

2. Mikerman

Mikerman Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I'd like to see it finally pop up automatically in Desktop mode . . . I've never understood why it doesn't (and if it's a user preference issue, simply have an option in the settings).

3. xavalon

xavalon Pen Pal - Newbie

Or you do it the real real hard way, create a boot.wim and install.wim image with integrated dell drivers. I had just over 21GB free on the 32GB model after installing build 9926.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2015
  4. jnjroach

There isn't much difference between the two so leave it in Tablet Mode....

5. atragon

atragon Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm not sure this is a serious and comprehensive reply When I enable tablet mode, all of my windows go maximized and I can't restore them to normal size with the "restore" taskbar button. This is not an acceptable workaround if I want to multi-task. (Think SP3 screen size / resolution)

Additionally, having to switch visual and physical focus from top of screen to bottom and back multiple times is highly inferior to being able to keep focus in one area. (Consider holding a 12"+ tablet in portrait mode like a clipboard, that's quite a jump to make back and forth with eyes and pen, and with a tablet that size, if you're holding it in your arm, I know I find it awkward to write near the bottom of the screen compared to the top/middle.)

Summary: With windows 7, I could interact with a slate tablet using a pen much more naturally, in a manner similar to a clipboard with a physical form on it. In windows 10, the interaction is separated from the area of interest in a cumbersome manner.

6. jnjroach

I'm serious, also the Full Screen issue is a pain, but using Feedback hopefully they'll adjust Windowing. You're write should be used as feedback, it will do much more good submitted there.

7. Tams

Tams Scribbler - Standard Member

This won't be changing back. Back when Windows 8 was in development, Microsoft published a whole blog post on the new TPC Input panel. They thought it was much better. In the comments they made it very clear they thought they knew best, and that it would not change back. If I recall correctly they were rather rude about it as well.

8. Xer0

Xer0 Pen Pal - Newbie

I did a clean Win 10 on my 7140, installed all drivers and almost everything works
    what does not work: the orientation sensor / screen rotating and adaptive brigntess

but the recovery usb i made with Dell backup software does not boot - how to fix it?

9. gammite

gammite Scribbler - Standard Member

i enjoy w8.1 on my dv8p. reading this thread has really made sure that i don't install any beta's on it. and it is also making me wary about installing any betas on my iconia w500 as well. i value being able to have a mobile htpc and it seems as though windows media center is not going to be included in the final build of w10.

10. HJK

HJK Scribbler - Standard Member

" I never liked Windows 8 and 8.1 was nothing but a band aid. I kept Windows 7 on my home PCs. I did buy the Venue 8 Pro when it came out. Even though it was a tablet, I really used it like a PC. I never used the Modern UI. I hated it. Truth is that I rarely used the tablet much."
    It seems to me that this orientation explains why there is such dissonance between the OP's view of Windows 10 and the view of several other commenters. I don't have any reasonable way to beta-test Win 10, so my opinion is second hand. But, it seems to me that you're going to love Win 10 if you want Win 7 back, and this orientation reflects the opinion of most Windows users.
    But those of us who actually like or even love Windows 8.1 (most Windows tablet users, I would guess) are going to be disappointed and feel as though we are seeing several steps backwards on the OS that negate or at the very least undermine the steps forward. At least that's my second-hand impression so far.