Windows 10 on Dell Venue 8 Pro

Discussion in 'Dell' started by lawguy, Feb 6, 2015.

1. spy14

spy14 Pen Pal - Newbie

Where can I adjust the brightness for the screen? On 8.1 I would just had to tap from the right and there it was, now I can change it only in the control panel... Am I missing something?

2. lawguy

lawguy Pen Pal - Newbie

it works the same way on Windows 10. Swiping in from the right give you quick settings. Display is among them.

Attached Files:

3. rüdiger

rüdiger Scribbler - Standard Member

Geez... tablet mode is a mess on a tablet right now, the taskbar is always popping up, I want metro apps run in fullscreen and not have the annoying task bar which burns into your screen. It was so easy in Win8 to access metro app settings, to access control panel, to access search, to access share, via right swipe, WHICH IS COMPLETELY GONE. The new "start menu" is totally designed for desktop and mouse users, let's say 80% desktop, 20% tablet. Tablet mode is a good idea, but not like it is right now. I would want tablet mode to switch into how metro apps were handled in Windows 8. I want an option that I can toggle back on the old Windows 8 start menu for tablets. The problem is Microsoft always dictated things and never gave any options to toggle between them, which is bad design. You cant even toggle these things via registry, they are hard coded. For example I hated it so much, that Microsoft hard coded the power off menu in the start menu which came with Update 1 of Windows 8.1, that it was disabled for Tablets<=8". It's good that it's back now for tablts too. It's these tiny little things which is like 10 seconds to change or program, which ruin it sometimes. Starting an app is like 10 times slower right now in Windows 10 compared to how you can access the apps in Windows 8.1 via tablet. The new rough settings app is also a step back for how it was in Windows 8.1. Brightness control is missing, sound is missing. "it works the same way on Windows 10. Swiping in from the right give you quick settings. Display is among them." aehm........ o_0

spy14 likes this.
  4. spy14

spy14 Pen Pal - Newbie

Right but there is no brightness control, only a toggle to disable automatic brightness...

5. lawguy

lawguy Pen Pal - Newbie

It seems that most of the complaints that people have are because the OS is not finished yet.

Not everything is complete or works as you would expect. But, it's 85% there. The bones of the OS are solid. I have no issues using it as a daily driver and find it much more fun to use than the same tablet on Win 8.

Using beta software is not for everyone. You shouldn't try it if you want it to be release quality.

Mikerman and Ed Hardy like this.
  6. macmanHEG

macmanHEG Pen Pal - Newbie

Just installed it myself, used 32bit clean install. While it seems buggy in places its actually quite good and works well. Around 600mb ram usage on clean boot. No performance issues really.

Only big problems I have right now is OneDrive refuses to sync to the SD Card (tried exFAT and NTFS) and in storage sense I am unable to get it to allow me to install apps to SD Card (but that might be because I don't know how the feature works)

Only use it in "PC Mode" as tablet mode is generally quite buggy/annoying in my opinion.

7. FZelle

FZelle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It might be because MS doesn't want his to be possible!?!

There was a hack for W8, but from W8.1 on this wasn't meant to be working.

8. macmanHEG

macmanHEG Pen Pal - Newbie

What are you referring to? OneDrive or changing the location of windows apps? If OneDrive then this worked fine under Windows 8.1 and I don't see why it would be changed now. As for windows apps it has been added in storage sense under settings but has no instructions on how to use it.

Screenshot (1).png

Last edited: Feb 11, 2015
  9. lawguy

lawguy Pen Pal - Newbie

In what way do you find Tablet mode buggy?

For me, the only thing that doesn't always work is getting apps to display completely full screen without showing the taskbar. I can easily live with that right now.

10. atragon

atragon Pen Pal - Newbie

From limited time with windows 10 on a Vivotab 8 note...

The Windows 8 touch keyboard / handwriting input is terrible compared to the Windows 7 Tablet PC Input Panel when it comes to pen input.

Windows 7:
    Tap in a text field /w pen, icon pops up next to cursor to launch TIP
    Tap icon, TIP pops up near your cursor
    Enter text via keyboard / handwriting and hit insert, TIP vanishes.

Compare to Windows 10:
    Tap in a text field /w pen, nothing happens
    Tap keyboard icon in taskbar, touch keyboard opens
    Enter text via keyboard / handwriting, insert.
    Tap keyboard icon in taskbar, touch keyboard closes

It sounds like one extra step, but the actual situation is worse, your work area shifts from near the text entry area to the bottom of the screen and then back again. Additionally, the handwriting input is limited to two lines, instead of automatically expanding to accommodate longer input.

I would be absolutely thrilled if MS were to bring back the Windows 7 Tablet Input Panel in addition to the touch keyboard. I get the utility of the touch keyboard for a completely touch workflow, but in my opinion, the Windows 7 TIP was far superior for a pen only, or a mixed pen/touch workflow.