Windows 10 on Dell Venue 8 Pro

Discussion in 'Dell' started by lawguy, Feb 6, 2015.

1. L.V.Gandhi

L.V.Gandhi Scribbler - Standard Member

Unfortunately nothing worked for me so far.
    To sum up
    1) First I tried with media creation tool and tried directly upgrade
    2) Then created USB stick tried.
    3) tried after GWX said upgrade is ready
    4 , 5 and 6) tried all methods turning off bitlocker.
    7 to 10) tried 1 and 2 methods after resetting tab with updating windows updates and also without any updates.
    Further trials also done disabling of secure boot also.
    In spite of several trials, still I get dialog box windows 10 installation failed.
    I am at loss to understand what to do to upgrade to windows 10 in DV8P.
    I got it in my laptop ASUS S400CA without any problem.

2. chevypad

chevypad Pen Pal - Newbie

I don't think I've seen this elsewhere - does anybody else have a problem with "Metro" (ie. designed for Windows 8/.1) apps not rendering well on the small DV8P?

I thought maybe Windows 10 just didn't play well with the old apps and display scaling - but now I've upgraded my desktop, and I see the old apps look splendidly normal.

On my Dell, however, apps like Nextgen Reader, Mint.com, the trio of dying MSN/Bing apps (RIP), Allrecipes - they all render in miniature. The UI on Nextgen reader is unbearably small, tiny menu bar. I mean, TINY, it makes File Explorer in W8 seem touch friendly. The other three use the column and block layouts, and fit many more (rather small) blocks per column than in W8.1.

It's as if they are scaling and rendering to a much larger monitor or something odd like that.

No "Universal" app suffers from this problem - they all scale nicely on the Dell. And, as I referenced, on my desktop, the UI scales nicely.

Is this a common problem on small tablets, or is there something borked about my Dell's individual setup?

I can add screenshots, if my explanations aren't understood.

3. FZelle

FZelle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It seems to be normal for those apps you named.
    Esp. NextGen Reader seems to have a few problems with the new scaling.
    If you set scaling to 150% it is big enough, but then you only have the two column design, if you scale it to 125%, it is 3 Columns but still a little small.
    But it is a lot better in Tablet mode.

4. Dave132

Dave132 Pen Pal - Newbie

My issues started when Microsoft put out over 200 patches for windows 8.1 and filled up my 32 gig tablet with so many patches that there was only 6.82 gigs of hard drive space left. No optional updates or programs installed . Now a level 2 tech from Microsoft has to call me to help me install windows 10 because there's not enough room to install on the hard drive.

5. FZelle

FZelle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

If only the updates are causing this, why don't you use the build in cleanup?
    After updating my DV8P the last time and doing a cleanup ( Fileexplorer/This PC/C: right click, Properties/ CleanUp/Systemfiles select all ) I had more then 10GB free
    and I have a lot installed.

6. beyondthetech

beyondthetech Pen Pal - Newbie

If you ever want to quickly remove all of the installer files that have accumulated from all the Windows Updates, perform these steps:
    • Launch Command Prompt with administrative rights
    • Type net stop wuauserv to turn off the Windows Update service (this will also unlock the SoftwareDistribution folder for manipulation).
    • Type rd /s /q C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution to delete the folder.
    • Type net start wuauserv to turn on the Windows Update service again (this will also recreate the SoftwareDistribution folder automatically).
    Note that this will not delete all the Windows Updates that have applied to your computer. It will only delete the ability to uninstall the already installed Windows Updates, as well as clear the Windows Update history (I hated seeing so many failed updates in my history).

7. matty123

matty123 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi All, has anyone else had a driver issue when using a bootable usb through startup? I keep getting an error saying I need to install some drivers to proceed with the setup but have added a few install files to a usb (chipset, drivers for OS installation) to no avail. Any ideas? its v frustrating!

8. adr M

adr M Pen Pal - Newbie

have you the step by step install from USB, I have a DV8P but OS crash and I need a fresh install

9. Mindereak

Mindereak Pen Pal - Newbie

EDIT: Fixed by installing this driver http://downloads.dell.com/FOLDER03112707M/1/5830_Network_Driver_RJCFP_WN32_3.7.2.59_A00.EXE

TLDR: Bluetooth isn't working properly, can someone send me his drivers? Maybe they can fix it.

I upgraded to Win 10 yesterday from windows update itself and after I upgraded I did a system restore to wipe out everything. I'm pretty sure something is not working properly in my bluetooth. When I first installed it bt wasn't working at all so I had to uninstall it from the devices and install it again, now it seems to be working I also have the bt icon. I own an Anker TC320 bt keyboard, when I had win 8.1 it used to work like a charm, once paired it never stopped working I just had to turn it off and it would get my input every single time. Now it's not working properly, I was able to do the pairing but it doesn't really work. Let's say I'm in the desktop and I turn the keyboard on, in win 8.1 it would start working immediately but now it doesnt. If I open the bt devices it says that it is connected but still no input, open start and try to type, still nothing.. after like 30 seconds or something it starts working and when it does it works properly as it should. The keyboard has a power saving option built in that makes it go to standby when you don't use it for a while, back in 8.1 I just needed to press 1 button and it would start working again in like 3 seconds, now.. it doesn't. It goes to standby and I can press the buttons 100 times but it still doesn't work. I open the "show bluetooth devices" again and it starts working. I think the tablet isn't "checking" if the bluetooth devices are trying to comunicate unless I open this window, which sucks and doesn't make any sense. It also loses the signal way too fast when I stop using the keyboard, I'm sure it stops working a lot before the keyboard goes to standby. Is there something I can do?

Last edited: Nov 14, 2015
  10. RazzNuts

RazzNuts Scribbler - Standard Member

Hi, I have just upgraded my DV8P to Windows 10. Did anyone notice that some Modern App font and icons become terribly small to the point they look pixelated?

It's the same thing on Hyper and Drawboard.

Is this something common or just isolated to my case?

Thanks.

EDIT: Whoa it has been answered by FZelle just a couple post back, my bad. I managed to make the font and icons a little more legible by setting the DPI scaling to 130% (tried 150% but makes Windows looks like for elderly/visually impaired OS).

Last edited: Nov 22, 2015