Windows 10 on Dell Venue 8 Pro

Discussion in 'Dell' started by lawguy, Feb 6, 2015.

1. Variable

Variable SiteCharts.com

I work on 50+ projects.
    Some of them involve making changes to powerpoint presentations, e.g. one project has a powerpoint that is in its 50th revision at this point.
    Previously it was very easy for me to simply select the files for that project that I would need, e.g. the most recent revision (maybe an older longer version) and some other files. Now I either have to sync EVERYTHING (maybe 1-2GB) or nothing. That ****ING does NOT work.

2. chevypad

chevypad Pen Pal - Newbie

Fair point. Your usage is much more professional than mine haha

3. L.V.Gandhi

L.V.Gandhi Scribbler - Standard Member

Has any one succeeded in upgrading to windows 10?
    I have tried all methods from media creation tool directly, through USB, waiting for GWX info and install through that. Trying all these methods with secure boot on and off even deleting recovery partition though I had 34 GB space.
    So far it is failure. Any solutions will be appreciated.

4. Ipaqman

Ipaqman Scribbler - Standard Member

There are two methods that have worked for me to get Windows 10 on my DV8P.

The hardest method is the clean install in that you need a USB hub, USB mouse and keyboard as well as a Windows 10 USB boot drive.

Be sure to backup your system drive. I use Macrium Reflect. And fully charge the tablet.

1) Use Media Creation tool to create a USB Win 10 boot drive
    2) Use Key Finder (google for this) to get your Windows 8.1 key
    3) Plug in USB hub with USB mouse and keyboard and Windows 10 USB drive
    4) In Windows 8.1, go to Recovery options to Advanced startup and use EFI USB device to boot from the Win 10 boot drive
    5) Enter the Windows key when prompted
    6) I chose to wipe the last three partitions - recovery, windows C, recovery
    7) Install Windows 10

My favorite method (did this a few times) is the standard in place upgrade.

1) Use Media Creation tool to create a USB Win 10 boot drive
    2) Do a factory reset
    3) Put in your favorite settings
    4) Enter your Microsoft account
    5) Decrypt the C drive via PC Settings > PC Info
    6) Plug in the WIn 10 USB drive
    7) Run the setup.exe program on the USB drive to install Win 10
    8) You can choose to keep settings or not
    9) Afterwards, you can remove the two recovery partitions and extend the C drive to take up the space using your favorite partition manager.

For either install, install the Dell Win 10 chipset and network drivers.

The in place upgrade seems to work better. There is an option to choose hibernate for the power options. The clean install does not have this option.

Sleep power usage is about 65mw. Power on IDLE is about 1.3 watts.

5. L.V.Gandhi

L.V.Gandhi Scribbler - Standard Member

Dear Ipaqman,
    Thanks for your response.
    I tried your favorite method many times. Unfortunately everything goes well upto 91% or 93% windows 10 installation and then get message reboot will occur shortly. But after a few seconds wait, I get dialog box informing Windows 10 installation failed. I am not sure where we differ in procedure.
    Regarding clean install even Microsoft says it should be done only after upgrade. I am afraid to loss what I have.

6. Ipaqman

Ipaqman Scribbler - Standard Member

In my favorite method, I did not allow Win 8.1 to do any updates after the factory reset. I also am using the most recent bios version.

I backed up the whole drive so I have been able to do a full restore to Win 8.1 with all my programs and data easily. There is no fear of losing anything.

The only time my Win 10 install failed was when I tried an upgrade to my fully installed 18 month old Win 8.1 installation WIMBooted.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2015
  7. gammite

gammite Scribbler - Standard Member

i removed the restore partition and did no factory reset before upgrading. i simply used the media creation tool to download the files direct the tablet and ran the upgrade direct from the tablet. i also keep nothing stored on the tablet and keep everything on the sd card. yes the one drive issue is annoying but putting all one drive files on the sd card solves that.

no issues here at all with win 10.

i know that i will be crucified for this but i miss the charms bar for tablets.

8. jnkstuff

jnkstuff Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi folks, I just used the icon on the screen to update to Windows 10 on my Dell Venue 8 Pro. I had the hack on my Venue 8 to run from the compressed files. Had no issues on the install. Once it booted everything worked.

9. LTBonham

LTBonham Pen Pal - Newbie

That's pretty cool. Glad it worked for you

Last edited: Aug 19, 2015
  10. Sighn

Sighn Pen Pal - Newbie

You could try one of these although not perfect.