Windows 10 on Dell Venue 8 Pro

Discussion in 'Dell' started by lawguy, Feb 6, 2015.

1. lawguy

lawguy Pen Pal - Newbie

I have been using PCs since the DOS days. I've beta tested almost every Microsoft OS since Windows 95. I have always been a PC fan but like may people I lost interest in Windows over the last few years. I never liked Windows 8 and 8.1 was nothing but a band aid. I kept Windows 7 on my home PCs. I did buy the Venue 8 Pro when it came out. Even though it was a tablet, I really used it like a PC. I never used the Modern UI. I hated it. Truth is that I rarely used the tablet much.

I recently installed the Insider preview version of Windows 10 (build 9926). I am really blown away. Microsoft nailed it this time. For the first time in years I'm excited by Microsoft again.

For those who do not know, Windows 10 has two modes: a tablet mode and a desktop mode. Switching between them is easy, there is a toggle button. Desktop mode is an improved version of the Windows Desktop that everyone is used to. Tablet mode is much more interesting. The Tablet UI is intuitive and works very well.

Tablet mode is very gesture based. The start button opens a kind of start menu/modern UI hybrid. It lists all of your apps. You can also pin the apps that you use most often as live tiles. All apps in tablet mode run full screen. A swipe from the left side of the screen minimizes all open apps. They are displayed in a grid ont he screen. This is real multitasking, not just task switching. A video that is minimized keeps playing. You can switch tasks in this way or easily close apps by hitting an "X." A swipe from the right side of the screen contains notifications and quick settings. It is all very simple and elegant.

The thing that is really great is that all apps now work the same, whether they are old windows apps or new windows store apps. When in desktop mode, apps can be resized, minimized or maximized. When in tablet mode, you can still snap apps to a side of the screen. For the first time since Windows 7, Windows feels like one consistent thing again.

I did a clean OS install. I formatted the tablet and installed it from a thumb drive. The key here is that most of the necessary drivers are not in the install package. I used a usb hub connected to a keyboard and mouse. I used it to copy the Dell drivers to the tablet. All the Dell drivers work. Basically everything works perfectly. You can do an upgrade but I wouldn't recommend it. do a fresh install. The key is to get the touchscreen and wifi drivers installed. Once you do that, the rest is easy.

The UI is really smooth and quick. This really breathed new life into this tablet. Plus, because I formatted, I have more free space than I ever did before. I have office installed and all the apps I need and still have over 12 GB free.

Mikerman likes this.
  2. lawguy

lawguy Pen Pal - Newbie

I forgot to mention that the stylus also works just fine. Just as well as it does in Windows 8.1 anyway.

Everything works!

Mikerman and hjmcgrath like this.
  3. chevypad

chevypad Pen Pal - Newbie

Could you upload some screenshots of the implementation of the start screen on the 8" device?

Also, is the taskbar accessible on an 8" tablet - I understand that many functions are now centered in the taskbar instead of under the charms umbrella, which can be fine, if it's not as tiny and unfriendly to use as it is in w8.1 desktop.

I'm also curious how the taskbar looks, for appearance purposes - I'm personally not convinced it will look attractive on a tablet, or be the best way to navigate the OS, but I am willing to be persuaded.
    Sent from my Lumia using Tapatalk

4. lawguy

lawguy Pen Pal - Newbie

Here is a video. It's not a great video but it will show you the basics of what you want to know. You'll see that the taskbar will be very familiar. It is accessible in Destop mode. I toggle between the different modes so you can get an idea of how it works.

5. Sighn

Sighn Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm guessing you have the 32GB model with 12GB free?

Also, what is W10's hunger for RAM like so far? Microsoft made astonishing improvements in this area going from 7 to 8 to 8.1.

6. lawguy

lawguy Pen Pal - Newbie

Screenshot (4).png

Yes. 32GB.

7. Mikerman

Mikerman Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Great to see--thanks for all the info. I've been hoping that the DV8P supports Win10, especially with the free upgrade announcement from Microsoft.

Now, it'll remain to be seen how Dell might support the upgrade--with upgrade directions, upgraded drivers, a new Win10 recovery partition?, etc.

8. Mighty Oregon

Mighty Oregon Pen Pal - Newbie

How did you install Windows 10?

I've been trying to install it since the release of Build 9926 for a long time now.

9. lawguy

lawguy Pen Pal - Newbie

You can install it in one of two ways. One is easy and the other is hard.

The easy way is to sign up for the windows insider program and choose the option to upgrade the OS. You need 10 GB of free space. Windows 10 will then install through Windows update.

The harder way is to download the iso file and burn it to a flash drive. Then boot to the flash drive and install windows. The hard part about this is that no drivers are installed. The touchscreen and WiFi don't work . I used a USB hub to connect a keyboard and mouse . Then I installed the drivers with a flash drive.

I recommend the harder way. I formatted the drive and got lots of space back. Plus, you know it is a Clean install.

10. spy14

spy14 Pen Pal - Newbie

How is the battery life? Is the connected standby working properly?