Windows 10 News & Reviews

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Steve S, Jul 28, 2015.

1. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

I've installed the Anniversary Update (or Redstone 1, if you prefer) on five devices, so far. (Four tablets and an all-in-one.) The process was slow, but it was consistent on each machine. The version number is 14393.10

Overall, all the important things seem to be working as expected. I think I've spotted a bug in Paint (Windows Accessories); the eraser doesn't work. Otherwise, nothing else to report so far...

2. Mikerman

Mikerman Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

3. Steve S

Mikerman likes this.
  4. Mikerman

Mikerman Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Very helpful to have at hand, and it also answered a question I had as to space needed for the update (have a Dell Venue 8 Pro tablet, with very limited available space--the answer is, can attach a flashdrive to provide the needed space).

5. Steve S

In the wake of the Anniversary Update, the pen hovering distance is dramatically increased on my SP3, SP4 and on my Z Canvas.

In addition, lines drawn at a 45° angle now appear to be straight, with no "jiggles"...

bloodycape likes this.
  6. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

Is it just select devices, or does this increase hover distance apply to all who is running the update? Anyone with an S3 notice this?

7. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

What software are you using to test, @Steve S ? I'm not seeing any such difference.

8. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

I have to agree. The update seems nice- everything is working fine- but hover distance is the same for me on my Thinkpad Yoga 14.

9. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I was referring to diagonal jitter. Hover distance variations are so difficult to measure accurately.

Also, @Steve S only referred to N-Trig devices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Steve S

<<...Anyone with an S3 notice this?..>>

...I didn't think to look at my S3. I'm seeing a similar increase but not quite as much...

<<...What software are you using to test...>>

...I used the Ink Window and I also tried ArtRage. Regarding the hover distance, you have to hold the pen nib a bit closer to the screen to get the cursor to fixate on the pen, but then you can pull the pen a little further away from the screen and it will retain fixation. The distance increase seems real, to me.

For the diagonal lines, I used a dielectric (non-metal) straight edge and slowly drew lines; they appear substantially straight. The Ink Window ruler provides perfectly straight lines, of course.

As surfaceproartist observes, my comments only apply to the S3, SP3, SP4 and the Z Canvas, all N-trig implementations...

dbrn and bloodycape like this.