Windows 10 News & Reviews

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Steve S, Jul 28, 2015.

1. jhoff80

jhoff80 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Something I didn't notice how much it annoyed me until I just went back to 8.1 is that my Surface Pro 2 would play the device connected / disconnected sounds every time I connected or removed the type cover. On Windows 8 it doesn't do that.

2. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

3. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

4. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

I agree with alarmingly many of these:
    http://www.gottabemobile.com/2015/08/15/10-things-youll-hate-in-windows-10/

Add to these: bugginess. OneDrive keeps restarting on its own: Groove Music sets off a 30% CPU "Runtime broker" process. Also, the start menu in tablet mode has not 'search' button activating the touch keyboard, so you need to unhide the cortana icon just for that. The clock sometimes gets clipped, fixable by expanding the tray icon (up arrow). Can't change the gaudy 'hero' image (but easy to disable by adding a single key to the registry). Can't control the 'recent apps list', although you can manually remove items. Cortana search doesn't return contacts on my system. The whole effort feels very unfinished. Hope they are hammering away at top speed over in Redmond. :mad:

5. ships10

ships10 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I've gone back to Win8.1Pro on my TP10.
    Win10 needs lots of work before it works smoothly...
    It feels like a beta version.
    We've become the top dog guinea pigs.
    I'll wait a little longer before making another attempt.

6. Sighn

Sighn Pen Pal - Newbie

Speaking of OneDrive annoyances, any synced file/folder has to be stored locally. If you happen to have a lot of things stored online you'll have to be very selective with what you sync in Windows 10's Onedrive software especially if you're running the OS on a tablet (1TB Onedrive vs 64GB tablet for example).

7. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

I originally upgraded to Win 10 on my S3 and 2 days later went back to 8.1 because my S3 is mainly used as a TabletPC with the keyboard rarely getting used (if ever). I have now had 10 on my Helix for a little more than a week and have framed an opinion (typical for me).

Using my Helix on my desk while connected to external everything Win 10 is fine. It works well with keyboard and mouse.

Using my Helix as a laptop Win 10 is fine.

Using my Helix as a TabletPC and trying to use the pen as a writing tool in the TIP is 'unusable' in my usage case. This is the same conclusion I had using my S3. I need to write things like "HS2", "PROTEC v2.17", or even "S3" while making out reports and the new TIP is incapable of making these sorts of notations. With 8.1 I can edit each character to get the note I need and can write pretty much anything I need to. On 10 I cannot correct the gibberish MS substitutes for me as my corrections result in just more interoperated gibberish. To be productive I am forced into abandoning handwriting and using the keyboard. This is not my idea of progress. This is, of course, in addition to having to perform edits on the text written instead of in the TIP.

In my opinion Win 10 is a great update for Win 7 desktop or laptop users who were abandoned with the 8.x version. It works good for those use scenarios. For TabletPC users (that use the pen to write anyway) it is now the impractical update. If MS would just give me the option to use the Win 7 TIP again it would be great. MS is still, in my opinion, trying to get rid of the pen as an input tool.

For the record, this is completely handwritten on my S3 using 8.1. If I were using the Helix to write this I would be using it as a laptop and I would not even try to write this in the TIP. That is not progress.

bloodycape, gcoupe and jhoff80 like this.
  8. gcoupe

gcoupe Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I hope that you've sent this in via the Feedback app as well.

I completely agree with you - the new TIP is an absolute, unusable, disaster.

9. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

I have, but the more people who up-vote and post such suggestion the better, imho.

10. jhoff80

jhoff80 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

There's a new preview build today that removes one of my favorite features:

At least they've finally come to their senses about activation. They now allow you to enter 7 and 8 keys in order to activate (as a clean install).

http://blogs.windows.com/windowsexp...ncing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-10565/

(With regards to tablets too it looks like there's something about inking in Cortana but I don't quite understand how it works from the blog post.)