Windows 10 News & Reviews

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Steve S, Jul 28, 2015.

1. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

After the "improvements" to Cortana, she/it would stay open in the alt-tab task switcher. I finally realized you can make a shortcut to kill it. :) So now I have Win-C for launching Cortana, and Shift-Win-C for killing the task. Turns out it's as easy as

Code:
    taskkill /IM Cortana.exe /F
    Put that in a batch file, and use autohotkey to assign a shortcut key to it. Easy! :cool:

bloodycape likes this.
  2. dellaster

dellaster Non-Creative Plebe Senior Member

More improvements for Cortana:

via ars Technica
    https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2021/04/microsofts-cortana-meets-an-untimely-end-on-ios-and-android/

Microsoft doth say, “We will soon be ending support for the Cortana app on Android and iOS, as Cortana continues its evolution as a productivity assistant.

As of March 31, 2021, the Cortana content you created—such as reminders and lists—will no longer function in the Cortana mobile app, but can still be accessed through Cortana in Windows. Also, Cortana reminders, lists, and tasks are automatically synced to the Microsoft To Do app, which you can download to your phone for free.

After March 31, 2021, the Cortana mobile app on your phone will no longer be supported.”
    ars concludes: “Meanwhile, you can (at least for the immediately foreseeable future) still find Cortana hanging out inside Microsoft Office, answering your basic queries like a chat bot.”

3. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

4. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

5. Steve S

6. daddyfish

daddyfish Scribbler - Standard Member

7. desertlap

desertlap Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

8. Steve S

<<...Huge potential for the future of Cortana ...>>

If you think that Cortana has a future...

dellaster, JoeS and desertlap like this.
  9. desertlap

desertlap Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Actually I do. Issues with the current iteration aside, the medium term future is still voice recognition and voice assistants and the Nuance acquisition bolsters that considerably, and..... rumor has it they have a ton of ARM related IP from their medical division.

TLDR Cortana isn't so attractive, but her daughters may be :)

dellaster and nnthemperor like this.
  10. dellaster

dellaster Non-Creative Plebe Senior Member

I had the Nuance Dragon Naturally Speaking back in the day (15-20 years ago?) when nothing else came close. It got me hooked on digital dictation. I use it often (and curse Siri for errors just as often). Unfortunately for the Microsoft acquisition, it’s most useful in the mobile space where typing is awkward compared to a laptop/desktop keyboard. And Microsoft is still pulling out of mobile, in all its variations—heck, they just killed Cortana on both iOS and Android.

Just where exactly is this excellent voice recognition tech going to be used? Yes, yes, I can guess: enterprise clients. Desktop Office. Phone support calls? Nothing that has any connection to me. Too bad.

JoeS likes this.