Windows 10 News & Reviews

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Steve S, Jul 28, 2015.

1. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

I watched a Windows Central video of the leaked version of 10X. Looks pretty nice, I like the gesture for spanning apps. But..they removed live tiles, after Apple finally added widgets on iOS. And the start menu no longer has app folders. Good grief, MS sure loves to innovate backwards. Leaders in unnovation?

2. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

They are the corporate embodiment of this story by Kurt Vonnegut...which is also laugh out loud funny.

EDIT: Better link about the story and I'm not commenting on the underlying politics, just the hobbling of Harrison versus the hobbling of windows....
    VONNEGUT’S DARK VISION ARRIVED 60 YEARS EARLY – The Burning Platform

3. daddyfish

daddyfish Scribbler - Standard Member

, well that is annoying lol. What I wonder is though, would it not be a smarter thing to delay the big & chipset/driver updates etc and to only give priority to security/small updates? Or are the chipset/driver updates here required to fix potential security holes?

4. desertlap

Well that's a second major annoyance that MS and ALL of the OEMS continue to perpetuate, which is vague, unhelpful release notes on what the updates actually fix/improve.

In the case of the NIC driver with these Dell's it appears they fixed a negotiation bug with the NIC and Meraki Access points which would have them default to an 802.11g 2.4 GHZ connection instead of the supported and proffered .X/5GHZ connection.

As an aside to that (and IMHO makes it worse), many of the vendors make "silent" fixes to a lot of security flaws. They try to justify it by saying that being more explicit opens users that haven't patched to vulnerabilities, but I thinks that's BS...

Last but not least, MS in their fears of piracy make it all to easy for their antipiracy code to be triggered, when in reality it sometimes hurts users who just want to keep their systems current with the latest tech and software.

Ok, end of Friday morning rant :)

5. daddyfish

daddyfish Scribbler - Standard Member

, interesting, thanks for your perspective on it. I never owned a Dell laptop personally and at work we have HP laptops and some self build desktops. I know that HP gives driver/device updates through HP Support Assistant app which gives descriptions for each update and categorized (eg Sound/Speakers), but not sure about other oems and this is only helpful of course if the update is not already pushed through Windows Update (not entirely sure but it seems like that happens if you ignore it long enough in the Assistant app).

6. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Marty likes this.
  7. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Studies are only now realizing what we've seen for years...>>

Because a picture is worth a thousand words...

nnthemperor likes this.
  8. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

nnthemperor likes this.
  9. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I think MS only referenced the study. I found it linked to a news article on MS's fresh push towards schools and release of budget laptops plus a $19:00 pen.

Sent from my SM-N975C using Tapatalk

10. desertlap

Story about running Windows X on what I consider a closer to mainstream platform.

Due to a Covid related scare I've been working from home for the last week and actually tried this with a current SP7 (i5 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD).

Doing this is absolutely not for the feint of heart as among other things it wipes everything and at one point I came within a step of bricking the unit.

However it's quite illuminating to compare this side by side with a Windows 10 Pro install.

Just comparing size of the base OS, it's less than 1/3 the install size (just a bit over 1GB in size) compared to windows 10.

More significantly things like base Ram usage is a LOT lower. For example at idle. the OS hovers around using about 1.5 GB RAM compared to 2.5 to 3GB with Windows 10 Pro

Still testing/playing, but office loads almost twice as fast with things like large spreadsheets or Access databases.

So, it shows me two things initially. One, that it actually might be a viable chrome OS competitor on similar hardware.

Two and more importantly to us, it gives further support to our belief about how bloated Windows 10 on X86 has become..

I'm going to attempt to install it on our lab Galaxy Book S today as well
    Windows 10X shown running on a Surface Pro 7 – and it looks pretty cool | TechRadar

bloodycape and JoeS like this.