Windows 10 News & Reviews

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Steve S, Jul 28, 2015.

1. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

The crazy thing is it's not like we're really even getting much in the way of new features lately either. They claim they're working on stability as a focus and yet Windows is getting worse. :vbconfused::vbconfused::vbconfused:

JoeS likes this.
  2. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

JoeS likes this.
  3. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The grass is always greener in someone else’s lawn. The day senior comrade, @Bronsky starts talking about the Mac and MacOS is the day I’ll believe it is actually greener. For now, I’m not buying any of these wannabe tech journalists’ BS.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

wytn likes this.
  4. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

That's a really silly article.
    • Windows 10 needs a new look? No, and macOS Big Sur has been heavily criticized for its space-wasting, blurry new look, that's not even consistent with iOS despite what they're trying to do.
    • Windows 10 needs new features every release? No, new features need to be useful and not just new for the sake of new. Take a look at the Ink Workspace that was new, then it was redesigned, and now it's reduced to a shortcut bar that can't even be configured. New features need to be complete and well-thought-out. Dumping a half-baked new feature so you can have a "NEW!" sticker on your product is a waste of everybody's time.
    • Windows 10 needs to get a hold of its bug problem? Yes. The release cycle is bad. Bugs should be more thoroughly squashed before public release. And for God's sake stop resetting certain configurations to default whenever there's a new update.
    • Windows 10 needs to fix its tablet interface? Yes, definitely yes. Why do I still have to struggle to access the start menu with my pen?!

wytn and Kumabjorn like this.
  5. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

So, let's see; of your four points, you actually agree on two and really three if we both agree on Windows "half-baked" status...?

Sorry; JK...

6. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

"Windows 10 needs less bugs and a better tablet interface" is really not great material for an article. And the first two points, which are the two major points in the article, are bad. New-for-newness'-sake is dumb.

7. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Hello sports fans - our friends at Windows Weakly (Paul & Mary Jo - beginning at 37 minutes in) did a fairly deep dive on what she call the "new Windows roadmap" and here are the show notes:
    • The new Windows 10 roadmap
    • We could be heading for a once-yearly Windows 10 feature update as Microsoft tries to prioritize 10X development
    • Windows 10X is going to debut without Win32 support … Late, in 2021.
    • Speaking of roadmaps: WinUI 3, the core component of Project Reunion, won't happen until 2021.
    • Oh, and there's a new Windows 10 build today for the Dev channel.
    • Thin clients, here we come
    • Microsoft is building a Cloud PC service on top of WVD that will turn Windows PCs (and likely more) into thin clients. And it may debut as soon as spring 2021.
    • How is this different from previous Thin Client initiatives like Windows Fundamentals for Legacy PCs or Windows and Windows Thin PC? Not to mention RDP solutions like Windows Virtual Desktop?
    • Microsoft Cloud PC + Windows 10X/other thin clients: Is this our future?
    The big takeaway, in my best imitation of Thurrott - "As I already predicted, all that matters is Office 365 and the cloud - we don't care how you get there, and we'll give you a 'Windows Lite' to make it even easier...sometime NEXT YEAR."

nnthemperor, Marty and dellaster like this.
  8. dellaster

dellaster Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Ohh, a massive silver lining! Too bad they haven’t (yet) decided to discard all future feature updates, put Win10 into LTS mode, and let it die naturally a dozen years or so down the road.

efjay and dstrauss like this.