Windows 10 News & Reviews

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Steve S, Jul 28, 2015.

1. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Exactly my thoughts.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

2. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

It has worked reliably for me on seven computers, so far...

JoeS likes this.
  3. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

FWIW, 1903 is finally being offered on my X1Y3. Given that I haven't made any system changes since, and haven't seen any driver updates come in, I'm not sure what took so long. I thought manually checking for updates should have bypassed any slow rollout to reveal 1903? Maybe MS resolved some issues on their end that are included in the 1903 installer?

nnthemperor likes this.
  4. ORTOX

ORTOX Pen Pal - Newbie

Steve, when a new Windows 10 release arrives I tend to use it as an excuse to reformat.

I download the ISO, burn a disc, and use my external USB DVD drive to install Windows from scratch.

Do you know if the issue problem with USB drives will impact installing Windows 10 1903 from scratch via a USB DVD drive?

I haven't attempted it yet but plan to soon. Thanks!

5. Steve S

<<...Do you know if the issue problem with USB drives will impact installing Windows 10 1903 from scratch via a USB DVD drive?..>>

@ORTOX : I rarely use this method to update my computers, so I can't say if the SDCard / thumbdrive issue would be a problem using this installation approach. From my perspective, simply removing any add-on media is easy to do and renders that issue moot. Is there some reason why you cannot (or don't want to do) this? Perhaps you want to "scrub" the media as part of the installation process? If so, that can be done separately and just as effectively...

6. ORTOX

ORTOX Pen Pal - Newbie

All of my computers are lacking an internal DVD drive, so external (via USB) is the only option.

I like using an actual DVD instead of using a flash drive formatted as a Windows installer.

Because old habits die hard, my procedure is to boot from the DVD, wipe out all internal partitions, and initiate the Windows install on an SSD. I believe this is what you're referring to when you say scrub.

7. Steve S

<<...All of my computers are lacking an internal DVD drive, so external (via USB) is the only option...>>

Ah; I understand.

Again, I can't say if you will have any installation problems, but I suspect that you won't. When I first ran into it, now weeks ago, I researched the problem. I no longer remember the specifics, but IIRC it was a drive assignment problem or ambiguity. Although your external drive will also have a logical assignment, I don't think that the same issue will crop up. Just my take for what it's worth.

Just be sure you back up before you try updating (and let us know what happens). Good luck...

8. ORTOX

ORTOX Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks Steve, that's what I suspect as well. When I get to this (who knows when that will be; hopefully soon), I'll report back if I remember to.

9. tcassidy

tcassidy Pen Pal - Newbie

I had a problem trying to update to 1903 on every computer I tried using a prepared USB key. I finally figured out if you copy the key to a folder on the main drive, you can install from there. Don't know what the issue is but that is what solved it for me.

Terry