Windows 10 News & Reviews

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Steve S, Jul 28, 2015.

1. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

WillAdams likes this.
  2. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Looks like they pulled the update.

3. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I’ve already updated 16 machines. No idea what I’ve lost. I’ve only confirmed data loss on my Surface Go which was configured to save documents to the microSD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marty likes this.
  4. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

Marty likes this.
  5. Steve S

6. Steve S

7. dellaster

dellaster Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It's been freakin' freezing in the Colorado Rockies so I've been playing a lot of Skyrim while trying to keep warm... And suddenly the gameplay performance started getting bad. I couldn't figure out what it was—I suspected one of the mods I recently installed, but I couldn't be sure which one—until it got really choppy in a visually undemanding area. I turned on the frame rate monitor and saw that it was over 70fps. Skyrim hates anything over 60fps, so I always had vertical sync on in the Nvidia settings.

That's when I connected it to the new lock screen image that showed up a few days ago. Whichever stealth update they slipped in that supplied the new scene also nuked my Nvidia control panel, the one you get to by right-clicking on the desktop, along with all my settings. It might have replaced the drivers. I had to download a self-install driver package from Nvidia to get the control panel back and everything running smoothly again. Half a gigabyte on my metered connection which was already low, with over half a month to go before it gets a reset. Thanks, Microsoft!

All this despite the fact that my W10Pro is still on 1709, every update deferral option to the maximum, *and* the connection always set to "metered" (because it *is* metered, the high speed portion limited on my Jetpack MiFi "unlimited plan" to only 15GB before speed drops to a miserable 600Kbs).

So, even though I'm successfully keeping a feature update from ruining my system, these other "crucial" updates that can't be stopped even on a metered connection setting can still do a number on my poor computer.

Microsoft, I pray for the day there is a viable alternative to Windows for those of us who enjoy gaming. I'll dump you in a hot second.

/rant off

Bronsky likes this.
  8. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

You know, there is Skyrim available for the Nintendo Switch, right?

I've actually been debating getting the SE Switch w/ the Diablo 3 bundle.

dellaster likes this.
  9. dellaster

dellaster Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yes, it's tempting. But mods are not allowed. I found out with Skyrim for my PlayStation 4 that my interest wans quickly if I can't install mods to spice things up. The Xbox One is the only console that allows most mods, but it's still primitive compared to the PC and I'm not going to leave Windows 10 on a PC just to go to Windows 10 on a console. :rolleyes:

10. Steve S