Windows 10 News & Reviews

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Steve S, Jul 28, 2015.

1. jnjroach

jnjroach Surface MVP Super Moderator

Funny thing...for what me and team does this is a game changer. We build content for our customer and typically have multiple source, research and browser tabs so to be able to group these will be a time saver as we are typically doing 6-12 projects at a time.

2. jhoff80

jhoff80 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
    bloodycape and JoeS like this.
  3. thierryb

thierryb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I tried 17074. And finaly I decided to revert to my last insider preview (17046) that was more stable.
    In addition, this new way to enter text is a little bit buggy (sometimes texts are not recognised).
    And in addition, now the old way is also buggy (the TIP move where you do not want; you can move it, but immediately it comes back where it was; the only solution was to fix it in the bottom to terminate entering text.

I also got some GSOD.
    And a bug of a previous release came back, I was sometimes not able to save streamed data on Edge, and I was obliged to use IE.

And Timeline is a little bit intrusive. Without easy way to deactivate it.

4. jhoff80

Timeline has been completely useless for me, I'd love an option to disable it as well.

I personally find that 17074 is a little bit more stable for me overall, but I find both builds to be messy (as expected with these early 'feature dump' builds before they start refining them). But then, I'm still one who finds the 'RTM' versions of Windows 10 to be a mess as well, so maybe I'm not the best person to comment on that. :D

5. bloodycape

bloodycape Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I agree 17074 is messy as I've been having touch screen issues in browsers not named Edge. Whomever at MS who works the feedbacks promised me this build would fix the problem, which it didn't. So, far the build is more stable than the last build, but touch screen issues are still a thing. and now on-screen keyboard pops up sometimes for no reason.

6. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

New version of Windows 10 in the pipeline?

https://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-said-to-be-building-a-new-modern-version-of-windows-10-for-pcs

(Courtesy of NeoWin site)

"...Another important point of note about Polaris is that it's not aimed at succeeding Windows 10 as you know it. Rather, Windows 10 Pro and Polaris will exist side-by-side in Microsoft's lineup, with the former serving gamers and power users who demand its robustness and the latter being touted to more casual users who don't mind the limitations of a lightweight OS...>>

7. thierryb

thierryb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

When they will understand that I have legacy apps ?
    I do not need a new RT.

dellaster likes this.
  8. jhoff80

Peter Bright has been ranting about this a bit on his Twitter... but makes some good points. Like what the heck does "without legacy components" even mean when the UWP framework itself relies on Win32 code?

https://twitter.com/DrPizza/status/956634125070454784

9. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

10. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

I still can’t really tell what any of this means in terms of real world user experience, outside of the fact that we’ll get windows on a wider variety of devices.

Can I run Sketchbook Pro and Photoshop on this type of stream? How about Sketchup Pro? How about various browsers? Of course, they’ll have all the office apps, which is cool. Of course, these sorts of articles describe what the Core OS or Windows S provides, but I still don’t get a sense of what the limitations would be. ???

Would I like weeks of battery life and LTE and instant on in a lightweight modular Windows device? Sure! Just, what’s the trade off?