Windows 10 Hands On: Desktop Focus Bad News for Tablet Owners

Discussion in 'News Headlines' started by Jamison Cush, Oct 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jamison Cush

Jamison Cush TechnologyGuide Editor Staff Member

Good news Windows 8.1 fans: It looks like you can completely forgo the new Start menu app experience with Windows 10 and stick with the tablet-friendly Start screen instead. This should be welcomed news, especially for those using the Dell Venue 8 Pro, Toshiba Encore, or any other 8-inch Windows 8.1 Intel device; because using the desktop on such a tiny screen, even with the new Windows 10 app support and features, is an exercise in frustration.

Bad news Windows 8.1 fans: Despite this option, it appears as though app behavior and navigation have completely been altered to favor desktop users.

Read the full content of this Article: http://www.tabletpcreview.com/feature/windows-10-desktop-focus-bad-news-tablet-owners/

2. Mikerman

Mikerman Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Interesting impression. In contrast, I use Windows 8.1 on my DV8P (with far from a "tiny" screen) in Desktop mode almost exclusively, and have very little frustration with it, doing typing on it and heavy Internet use. The few frustrations I've had, where I have to be more careful, are with the Windows Desktop calculator (can't be enlarged, and small keys), some software applications with smaller buttons, general touch issues with some websites (where a button won't easily respond to touch; handled by using a virtual mouse), and small keys in the fuller virtual keyboard. In fact, I've been amazed at the usability, well above 90%.

3. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It's a bit early to call this so I'm off to do something else. (I'm sure that MS will change things)

4. efjay

efjay Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Its called a "technical preview" because its not finished. Claiming anything for any set of users is beyond premature at this point.

unrealtrip likes this.
  5. HJK

HJK Scribbler - Standard Member

I dunno. For those of us (a minority though we may be) who are fans of Win 8.1 tablets, maybe we should be evaluating the preview so that we can perhaps have a voice in what the final product looks like. I'm not sure how one goes about having such a voice; I doubt MS has anyone frequenting these threads. But I don't think making evaluations and voicing them at this stage in the game is pointless.

6. HJK

For my part, I am disappointed to learn of the desktop-centric reconfiguration of the way that apps function. I hope that this is tweaked with tablet users in mind before the full release.

7. NamelessPlayer

NamelessPlayer Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Personally, I'm glad for it and in fact prefer Windows 7 to Windows 8.1 for my tablet PCs.

Granted, almost all of my tablet PCs save for the HP TC1100 I started out with (and that one's a special case) are convertible notebooks, and I prefer them that way. They're laptops until I need them to be tablets.

On top of that, most of the software I run on them for which I actually utilize their tablet features is based on the desktop Windows UI, not the Metro/Modern UI. If anything, that UI is actually far more cumbersome to use on pen-only Tablet PCs because it treats Wacom digitizers as mice.

It's still far too early to speak on a blatant technical preview, though. The highly-touted Continuum feature that switches between desktop and tablet interfaces on the fly has yet to be implemented, for starters.

8. AveSharia

AveSharia Scribbler - Standard Member

Frankly, the article kinda seems like nonsense.

This conclusion is based on time spent testing the Windows 10 technical preview on the Dell Venue 8 Pro, which doesn’t include the much ballyhooed Continuum feature that dynamically changes the OS from tablet-friendly to notebook-centric, as of publication
    The Windows 10 Tech Preview expressly lacks the tablet features that are intended to make Windows 10 work cross-machine.

30 seconds with Google would have saved the author some wrist-strain:

Anyone can participate, but this particular program is aimed at crafting Windows 10 so that it’s a success in workplaces among employees and IT pros using the OS in x86 PCs with mice and keyboards.

Microsoft plans to address the consumer features of Windows 10 later on, most likely after the year-end holiday shopping season, so as to not hurt even more the standing of lame-duck Windows 8/8.1 in that market. At that time, Microsoft is expected to address in detail the use of Windows 10 in tablets and in hybrid tablet/laptop computers, including those running ARM chips, which currently use the RT version of Windows 8.

9. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

In addition to AveSharia's comments, I was under the impression from the plan that was announced about 6 months or so ago for different sku's that 'tablets' like the Dell V8P would get a version that did not even have a desktop (the 'Bing' OS). We have to see what comes together as we get closer to launch.

10. HJK

I hope this is not the case, assuming it means one could not run legacy apps on such devices, effectively turning all 8 inch devices into RT type devices. This would undercut one of the potential selling points for Windows tabs, even in the 8 inch range. Big mistake jmo. But then what do I know?
    Then again, if there is a way to treat legacy apps as Metro apps, then I would be for it. I wish I could cycle through my open Word docs with a left swipe or use snap (8.1 snap, that is) to view apps and docs open in the desktop side by side on my t100. That would be great.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.