Windows 10 Creators Update: Early ISO Availability

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by dellaster, Mar 28, 2017.

1. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 Editor-in-Chief of TechAndTiny Senior Member

Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
  2. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

I installed Windows 10 Creators Update on my T904 through the Media Creation Tool. I chose to keep software and settings.

Issues:
    • Tiles on the start menu were corrupt, for example a shortcut to an intranet site became an unclickable GUID, had to recreate several tiles. • Windows Journal was removed, had to reinstall it. • Microsoft installed a bunch of apps on my system like "Mixed Reality Portal" and "Paint3D" (it doesn't even have pressure sensitivity) which can't be removed with PowerShell "Remove-AppxPackage" or any other way. The number of unremovable apps just keeps climbing. This needs to stop. Calculator, calendar, mail? Fine. Paint3D? Marginal. XBox identity, Mixed Reality? Too far. • Windows Defender displays a warning when using higher privacy settings, this warning cannot be dismissed. I have a feeling this is a taste of things to come, where the OS complains you're not sharing personal data with Microsoft. • SharpKeys settings were removed. • Inking lags more? I haven't timed this with a high-speed camera but it feels that way.

Benefits:
    • They finally fixed the Wi-Fi selection highlighting. Been requesting this since Windows 10 was first released. • There's tile "folders" for grouping multiple tiles into one, and clicking it expands them. • Some interface features are more consistent, less residue from previous versions of Windows. • Feedback is much more prominent in every page.

Bottom line: they fixed one bug that's been annoying me for almost two years, kudos.

edit: After many issues, mainly with Windows Update failing and performance issues, I decided to do a clean install. Spent the last two hours reconfiguring Windows and all my applications, and I'm not done yet. Sigh.

2nd edit: the start screen is completely hosed, can't add or remove tiles, crashes when moving tiles to new groups. This is after a clean install. Sigh.

3rd edit: the TileDataLayer cache was hosed. Had to create a new admin user, switch user, wait for its tile cache to populate, then copy the tile cache over the broken cache, then reboot, then remove the unnecessary user. Really shoddy programming on Microsoft's part, why can't I flush the cache the same way I flush my browser's cache?

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
    kvoram, JoeS and sonichedgehog360 like this.
  3. metalsiren

metalsiren Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I have to admit, RS2 update is really impressive. I notice a nice speed bump on my SP4. really smooth so far, used the upgrade assistant to get it early since I was busy Tuesday when it was coming out. but color me impress so far for sure.

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  4. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

Installed Creator's Update on 6 systems so far (tablets, desktops, AiOs) and in every case, the process has been flawless. I'm a little disappointed about the features that got cut out or diminished, but the rest of the update works well!

JoeS and sonichedgehog360 like this.
  5. dellaster

dellaster Scribbler - Standard Member

I got to hand it to Microsoft, they finally fixed the high DPI issues. At least as far as I've encountered. My desktop 4k monitor runs at 200% so some programs, such as IrfanView, had the UI come out funky. Now it's perfect without any adjustment.

Another, my DVD ripper, still had a messed up UI in the Creators Update so I tried the new compatibility settings, the "Override high DPI scaling behavior" ones. Voilà! The new System (Enhanced) option did it! Everything's just right, now. The Creators Update was worth it for this feature alone, for me.
    Enhanced_Compatibility.png

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  6. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 Editor-in-Chief of TechAndTiny Senior Member

Same here! Microsoft Money and Notepad++ no longer look like pixel dirt had splattered on the screen but are smoothly and properly scaled. Totally worth the upgrade indeed!

dellaster likes this.
  7. Selofain

Selofain Chronic Lurker

Updated my TPT2, and I can say this: the tablet input panel still makes me angry like no other Windows feature has. Seriously, is it just me? Is it only awful on Atom devices? The last written letter is constantly going unrecognized, and today, post update, I wrote an entire phrase that the TIP declined to put into the text box and thus disappeared into the ether.

The rest of the update looks neat, but **** the Win10 TIP. I need to stop trying to use it because it's only making me upset. Fixing it is clearly not a priority for them.

8. dellaster

dellaster Scribbler - Standard Member

Egads, if the ads in Windows 10 itself weren't enough, they're stuffing them into OneDrive now, too. After updating the app today on my iPad I was hit with three consecutive full-page appeals for me to upgrade my subscription. It's like they think we have nowhere else to go.

I'm gonna see if I can get by with iCloud alone. I'll pay the $.99 a month for the upgrade there, if I need more than 5GB—I have 30GB on OneDrive for free, but use less than two GBs. Maybe I can use Notes instead of OneNote, too. I'm bailing out on you, Microsoft. There *is* someplace I can go!