Windows 10 Creators Update: Early ISO Availability

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by dellaster, Mar 28, 2017.

1. dellaster

dellaster Scribbler - Standard Member

The Verge posted links for what is thought to be the "RTM" ISO of Creators Update:

http://www.theverge.com/2017/3/28/15086112/microsoft-windows-10-creators-update-download-iso-files

Since @sonichedgehog360 posted elsewhere that he did the update on top of the Anniversary Update and apparently nothing exploded, I decided to be adventurous and try it for myself. It works without any problem, up to now anyway.

I wanted to try the new Game Mode in particular... it's hard to tell if it's doing anything. For Skyrim I had to run it windowed to activate the settings since they wouldn't show in full screen, then I switched back.

Anyway, is anyone else living dangerously and applying the update early? What's your experience, if so?

Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
    sonichedgehog360 and ATIVQ like this.
  2. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 Editor-in-Chief of TechAndTiny Senior Member

It is a very well-executed, pretty near-perfect release in my estimation. On one hand, Anniversary Update was afflicted by the widespread BSOD bug with Avast and many drivers were caught off-guard and out of sorts. Yet Creators Update is a very solid update where I have yet to run into any issues whatsoever. In fact, it is probably the most reliable version of Windows I have used so far. I am highly enjoying sorting all my apps into folders–finally! Paint 3D is really fun and, of course, is pen-optimized! I am really digging the expanded color gamut of HDR (the blues are definitely deeper) and I am so thankful that I can give my eyes a rest with the Night Light mode, meaning no more downloading f.lux. As a matter, I also no longer need to download TouchMousePointer since a virtual touchpad is also built-in, standard-issue. I still have to figure out which games I can broadcast and how I would do it with Beam, which looks really interesting from a gamer's perspective.

dellaster likes this.
  3. dellaster

On the latest Windows Weekly yesterday, Paul Thurrott was going to have this Creators Update early access as his tip of the week. But he checked during the show and the ISOs had been switched to text files. Microsoft closed the open door. I just checked and now the link at The Verge comes up requiring a Windows Insider account to access. Thurrott's links come up forbidden access.

Thurrott mentions a second way of obtaining the update by using the Upgrade Assistant: https://www.thurrott.com/windows/wi...s-10-tip-get-creators-update-quickly-possible

So far so good. This build 15063 has been rock solid, no issues at all. I normally do a clean install for these things but this time I'll let it ride. I just did a clean install of the Anniversary Update a few weeks ago so it hasn't had time to gunk up, and this update went so smooth and trouble free that I don't feel the need.

4. dellaster

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  5. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

sonichedgehog360 and dellaster like this.
  6. sonichedgehog360

7. Io-T

Io-T Pen Pal - Newbie

Some Windows update I can't track down (or something) has completely screwed up Clip Studio and I have been suffering from hellish brush lag even at 100 dpi 4px brush for months. Installing this now in hopes it finally fixes the issue I'm having. My last dozen commissions I've had to do in Photoshop and I really don't want to have to keep paying the monthly fee.

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  8. sonichedgehog360

dellaster likes this.
  9. sonichedgehog360

PS: Heads up! The hyperlink to the page where you would download the ISO ( https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO ) will auto-resolve to this other page ( https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 ) without the ISO, just the silly Update Assistant, if you try visiting it normally on a Windows machine. So you must either be on a non-Windows machine or use a browser user-agent switcher (like the one linked below) to trick Microsoft's website into thinking you are using a non-Windows machine. I set my browser to pretend it was Safari running on an iPad and that then allowed me to download the ISOs.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/...hoibgkdhkhhcedjiklpkjnoahfmg/related?hl=en-US

Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
    dellaster likes this.
  10. Io-T

Io-T Pen Pal - Newbie

Just wanted to post that the update completely fixed the Clip Studio Paint lag issue I was having and a lot of smaller pen apps are running far better in general. So so excited to have a Windows update that fixes stuff instead of breaks it.