Windows 10 Available on July 29

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by metalsiren, Jun 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sweetpea8472

Sweetpea8472 Scribbler - Standard Member

November and December too! Even May or June are very nice months :p

2. XJ12

XJ12 Scribbler - Standard Member

This will be interesting. Have two win 7 machines that I might load Win 10 just for grins as the machines sit idle anyways. But, the published number of installs won't reflect that these are basically obsolete machines. In no way would consider paying for a new OS on these old machines. Just would consider installing on a couple machines to play with the new OS.

Can see the head lines now "10 million downloads" in just the first few days... (edit 8-2: I was a little off, they've already claimed 60 million)

Last edited: Aug 2, 2015
  3. Mikerman

Mikerman Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Now, that's really pushing the 1-year freebie envelope, isn't it? ;) I can already see Microsoft's servers crashing repeatedly next July . . . .

4. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

FYI, official ISO downloader/USB creation tool:
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Don't do a clean install right away though. In order for Windows 10 to activate, you need to do an in-place upgrade from a valid Windows 7 / Windows 8.1 installation. They then apparently store your hardware info in the activation server, and so the second time around you can then do a clean install if you'd like.

5. Sweetpea8472

Sweetpea8472 Scribbler - Standard Member

My current PC isn't getting the update anyway, because I'm running an enterprise version of Windows 7. And I'll let my husband install Windows 10 on his AVTN8 first and see what he thinks before I risk mine :D I am still pondering about my SP2 though....

6. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

My S3 is already showing update is ready to download since 9am PST. I am going to hold off until the weekend to upgrade my S3. I wanted to update my mothers Vaio, but it keeps saying the update for W10 keeps failing.

7. XJ12

trying to install Win 10 on an older laptop. Win 10 "app" for the install was absent after patching it. Turns out, IE11 install needs to be performed before the Win 10 option becomes available. What a waste of bandwidth. Figuring that getting a new OS would provide an IE/Edge update regardless of IE version running in Win 7. But, noooooo. 58MB download and then it reports that it needs a 78MB security patch. What? Regardless, the Win 10 update option showed up! But with a 1.5mbs DSL connection, it might be a few days before the machine gets Win 10. Or head down to the local eatery with WiFi...

Update 8-2-15: Laptop still is a no go. Windows 10 install fails. No clue yet. Download shows up in $window~BT but doesn't install. On the other hand, I'm typing this in an Edge browser on a desktop computer that totally had no problem with the install. Best I can tell, did the same steps on both. Well, I'm not installing on any other computers yet. So success rate will have to stay at 50%. wow, edge lagged very badly several time while typing this...

Last edited: Aug 2, 2015
  8. XJ12

Figured out the laptop. Update history had an error code 80240020. Supposedly error generated because installation required user interaction.

Tried the following solution successfully from Microsoft Answers:
    1. Locate the registry key: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\OSUpgrade]
    2. It should exist, but if not, create it.
    3. Create a new DWORD (32-bit) Value with Name = "AllowOSUpgrade” (without the quotes), and set the Value = 0x00000001.

9. XJ12

10. efjay

efjay Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.