Windows 10 Available on July 29

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by metalsiren, Jun 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mikerman

Mikerman Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Then you unfortunately will be letting a stubbornness over this prevent you from getting nice advances. And you will be switching at some point in time--it's just the way it is . . . .

2. XJ12

XJ12 Scribbler - Standard Member

There's one thing Microsoft does, is to listen to the customer. Have to say something to be heard.

There's just some features (advances?) that can be pushed out that just are not wanted.

PS. Oh want to add, since all my current machines are on manual update, I don't have the "feature update" to make my system ready for future updates.

3. Mikerman

I also have set my Win8.1 system to download but hold updates until I review them. But Microsoft has opted instead for totally automated updating--not much one can do about it, apart from foregoing the latest OS (which I really don't see as a real alternative, if one wants a latest OS and its advances) . . . .

4. XJ12

At work place, historically skip multiple OS releases. Win 10, if it is still viable, won't be implemented until say 2017 as most optimistic estimate. Then it would be enterprise with controlled updates.

Never know if DOJ gets involved. Remember when browser integration was decoupled from OS by court order.

5. Sweetpea8472

Sweetpea8472 Scribbler - Standard Member

I think plenty of people are willing to skip the latest OS (for whatever reason). Just check how many people are still using XP. I also have not made the switch to Windows 8 nor Windows 8.1 from Windows 7. I never had Vista or ME.

I might install Windows 10 on my Surface, I most likely won't install Windows 10 on my Asus, and I'll probably install Windows 10 on my PC. You also have to consider the life of your device. How long will the OS you're using now still be supported vs how long do you expect you'll use the device. And in 2018 I really expect to have seen another 8" tablet that can replace my Asus (which will really be aging at that point). And if not, I can always see about updating then.

6. Mikerman

And I bet that the fact that the big M. Is giving Win10 away for free, its first year, to current Win7 and up users is going to get many people to switch as well . . . .

7. XJ12

it will be ugly if they can't even give it away...

8. Mikerman

;)

I'm willing to give them some credit. But this rush and crush to RTM the past 2 months does not instill much confidence for me (and frankly, I find it pretty appalling for a company like Microsoft). And, of course, I will not be a first-installer--September and October are nice months . . . .

9. XJ12

10. efjay

efjay Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.