Windows 10 Available on July 29

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by metalsiren, Jun 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. metalsiren

metalsiren Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

2. CF77

CF77 Love Tablet. Senior Member

"internet service fee may apply" on MS notification
    will there be a charge?

3. metalsiren

metalsiren Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

no its free, its talking about if your ISP for example cell charges more because of the size of the download or other factors. since it says its 3GB

but no its free

4. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Ignoring how much I hate the tablet changes, I really have zero faith that this mess is going to be cleaned up by then. Over the weekend, I've ran into and filed 34 different bugs (not feature requests, but things that haven't been working right) and that's not including the ones that haven't been fixed from previous builds (and there's a ton of that too). If they're releasing July 29, that probably means the 'finished' build will have to be signed off on maybe a week prior... and I just don't see how they can get this to a stable OS in around 7 weeks.

5. Mikerman

Mikerman Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Like so many others, I don't understand why Microsoft is rushing this (perhaps for back-to-school sales?). Would much prefer Microsoft to take an extra couple of months and get matters as right as possible . . . .

6. jhoff80

Yeah, definitely for back-to-school stuff. I have a feeling the PC vendors weren't very excited about pushing Windows 8.1 for another cycle there. But at the same time, as much as it helps in the short term, I feel like it might hurt in the long run. After the backlash against Windows 8.x, the last thing Microsoft needs is for users to have the first impression that Windows 10 is incomplete and/or buggy.

I've said this before elsewhere, but the last time I beta tested an OS that was this much of a mess this close to launch, the OS/device got cancelled after 49 days. Luckily Microsoft is a bit larger and has more of their resources on this, but I have a huge sense of déjà vu here.

7. Sweetpea8472

Sweetpea8472 Scribbler - Standard Member

You have a year to decided if you want to upgrade for free... I know I won't be upgrading at the end of July, not on my Windows 7 PC and especially not on my tablets.

8. HJK

HJK Scribbler - Standard Member

I have signed up, but I don't think I'll install it if it is that buggy still. I want to clear up one thing before I install anything: In the current build, is it possible to access legacy/desktop apps at all while in tablet mode? Or do you have to toggle back to desktop mode to get to your legacy programs?

9. jhoff80

That is actually the single thing that Windows 10 does better than Windows 8.1 for tablet mode. It treats desktop apps the same as tablet apps, including drag to close and putting them in the same Task View app switcher.

HJK likes this.
  10. XJ12

XJ12 Scribbler - Standard Member

July 29th fast approaching. Just learning that update policy for Win 10 is killing manual update mode. Well, Win 8.1 is the last windows then.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.