Windows 10 Anniversary Connect feature - it's fantastic!

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Starlight5, Nov 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Selofain

Selofain Chronic Lurker

Really excellent news! My T901 can live on as an ad hoc Cintiq after I retire it. I'm still somewhat bitter that my TPT2 can't use the Connect feature. Really wish I could use it to pen remote to my T901 without losing use of the T901.

2. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Yeah, I've been using this for a while with my living room and bedroom PCs that get used for media.

I'd like to see my office's conference room PC get upgraded to a desktop that supports this as well, but unfortunately I'm not involved in those types of purchasing decisions.

I also think it makes Continuum for phones more viable than that'd be without this feature... though I personally find that they need to continue to add features to that as well.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2016
  3. Selofain

Selofain Chronic Lurker

I can't seem to leave this issue alone. Windows 10 finally gave us the capability to turn our laptops into secondary monitors, but only wirelessly? Is there no way to make it work over a wired connection? A wired connection would give a better performance than my dinky N network (no AC here, sadly).

Ethernet doesn't work, but what about hdmi? Usb? Do I really need to buy two Miracast adapters to get it working between my TPT2 and T901? (Plus an adapter, since the TPT2 only has a mini hdmi port.) Would that even work, since apparently video drivers are a factor too???

I can't find any decent program that'll turn my TPT2 into a vanilla extended monitor either. They're all old and unsupported or for connecting mobile devices as second monitors. The only one I've found that works with Windows 10 is spacedesk and that program sucked so bad.

4. Starlight5

Starlight5 W I N T E R B O R N

@Selofain guess you're stuck with spacedesk. Miracast adapters won't help you in any way, since none of your machines have HDMI in; USB only works for Android and Apple devices, and I bet you won't get any reasonable performance running an Android emulator. Maybe try something like Remix OS on TPT2, connected to T901 by USB?

Last edited: Feb 7, 2017
  5. Selofain

Selofain Chronic Lurker

Sigh. I hadn't considered the hdmi in issue.

More laughing/crying. Remix OS won't work on the TPT2. I tried it ages ago, I can't remember why. The problem is that it's a 32-bit machine that uses UEFI. The 32-bit version didn't work since it's not a legacy BIOS, and obvs the 64-bit version won't either. And I couldn't force it to boot in legacy mode, so that was out.

My TPT2 seems destined to go the same way as my TC1100- rock solid to the very end, but showing its age more and more as time goes on with no way to revitalize it. And since it still works, it's veeeery difficult to justify a new (secondary) machine.

6. trancaobang

trancaobang Pen Pal - Newbie

thank you so much!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.