Windows 10 Anniversary Connect feature - it's fantastic!

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Starlight5, Nov 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Starlight5

Starlight5 W I N T E R B O R N

With this neat feature, we can finally utilize our Windows 10 devices as external monitors, wirelessly - which makes a lot of sense for tablets in particular; input devices can be shared as well. Yay!

In my setup (specs in signature), only 1 of the tablets is able to project its screen; the second one refuses to project, though acts very well as receiver - second screen runs butter smooth, latency is barely noticeable - and that is on wireless! I am running 802.11ac network which seems to be the key to success.

Discuss? It would be particularly interesting to understand which hardware allows to use this feature, which doesn't, and what are the limitations.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2016
  2. Selofain

Selofain Chronic Lurker

Meh. Neither my T901 nor my TPT2 support Miracast, which is required to use Connect. It took me hours of googling to confirm the lack of support. /bitter

Is pen remoting supported in Connect? I suspect not- too close to actual Cintiq killing. But still, it'd be nice to use my TPT2 as an external monitor sometimes rather than a separate machine. Less syncing required.

Starlight5 likes this.
  3. Starlight5

@Selofain pen remoting is supported, but there's obviously no pressure sensitivity, and some input lag. Pen remoting works fine, including pressure sensitivity. What WLAN adapter do you have in T901, btw?

4. Selofain

Selofain Chronic Lurker

Looks like an Intel N6205.

That's as good as not, too me. Though it's nice to know I won't have to deal with mouse issues and can use my pen to poke at buttons.

5. Starlight5

@Selofain tested this feature on another X220 tablet, this time with 6205 N - it still works, though there are more warnings than on X220 tablet with 7260AC. X220 tablets can't project themselves because of poor Windows 10 HD3000 driver just like T901 - but there's nothing stopping from using them as receivers, and they do the job well. It also would be interesting to know if an HD3000 machine running 8.1 can project to another machine running 10.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2016
  6. Selofain

Selofain Chronic Lurker

@Starlight5, really interesting! I decided it was a moot point when neither of my machines could do it. But when I do get a new tablet pc (way off in the future), I'll definitely see how well the T901 works as a receiver. Heck, I'll probably just go all the way and buy it a newer wifi card. Maybe by then Connect will get pressure sensitivity! (Ha! Probably not, but I can dream.)

Starlight5 likes this.
  7. lalorama

lalorama Pen Pal - Newbie

Pen remoting worked perfectly, as well as with pressure sensitivity, when I casted my main desktop's screen into a laptop that had an intuos tablet connected to it. There was a bit of occasional lag obviously, but overall it was workable. I suspect pen remoting would work in Windows tablet PCs as well. Has anyone tried it?

Selofain and Starlight5 like this.
  8. Starlight5

@lalorama thank you very much for this report! I checked my machines (both Windows 10) once again - and pressure sensitivity actually works, and there ain't much lag! It seems Wacom drivers were causing problems - all works fine after I replaced them with standard Windows driver for digitizer. @Selofain you will be able to use your T901 for pen remoting!

Selofain likes this.
  9. lalorama

lalorama Pen Pal - Newbie

@Starlight5 you mentioned you connected your devices via Ethernet. How does this work? I assumed Miracast only worked wirelessly. Does this help with the last?

10. Starlight5

@lalorama I written first post before trying to connect over Ethernet; it doesn't work indeed. Corrected it, to avoid confusion.