Windows 10 and ST5112 - WORKS!

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by qhorque, Aug 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. qhorque

qhorque Scribbler - Standard Member

Well, it works for the most part but not perfectly.

I had my ST5112 running fine with Windows 7 Ultimate and just about everything worked including wireless, fingerprint and buttons. Digitizer seems perfectly fine too. I really did not use it that much mostly because it's really heavy and slow compared to my newer devices. So when Windows 10 started being offered for free, I figured I'd see if their upgrade wizard could determine if the tablet was upgrade-capable and it seemed to have no problems saying yes. So I bit the bullet and tried it.

I used the option to keep my apps and files but the upgrade did NOT keep my apps. While everything is there in Windows.old, none of the apps (Office 2007, Beyond Compare, RedShift, etc.) show up in the Start Menu though I did find some Office bits. I tried starting Word and it went through an "installation" and ultimately did start. So there are some things to work out there.

But, the good news is that the tablet is functional, seems to have updated and proper Wacom drivers and utilities, the fingerprint reader works and appears to recognize my fingerprint and the buttons all seem to work though I never really use them much. The Fn and rotation buttons function so that's good. In device manager, it looks like all devices were recognized though the WiFi card "did not start" and the PCMCIA slot was recognized and loaded but the CF card in it does not show up in the list of drives. Sound works but I have not tried the microphone yet.

The WiFi card had an error 12 meaning there were not enough resources to function so, since the PCMCIA slot was not functioning and I had no real need for it, I disabled it and the Firewire port which apparently allow the WiFi card to get resources, load the driver and start. But WiFi does not really work. I am unable to turn it on. From what I can tell, the card is not supported so I shouldn't have an expectation that it does but it was working in W7 so it probably should be able to function.

But, overall, Windows 10 did install and is almost 100% functional on the really old ST5112. I'm impressed.

Just thought you might like to know.

stormi likes this.
  2. qhorque

qhorque Scribbler - Standard Member

Update - after removing the WiFi device, rebooting and "searching" for updated drivers about 8 times, it was finally and magically enabled. So WiFi works now too. Once again an unsupported device does indeed work.

So that leaves the only unsuccessfully enabled device being the PCMCIA slot. Or, more specifically - the recognition of a CF card in that slot since the drivers were technically installed for it. I could try inserting another PCMCIA device but I don't have any other than those meant for old Windows CE PDAs. Not really workable in a full Windows environment.

Still can't really speak to the Wacom portion though since I don't really use the pen for drawing, painting, etc. but the Wacom driver appears to be completely functional, the calibration worked and there are numerous settings that appear to be accepted and I assume function.

I'll see now if I can get the old apps to function or at least reinstalled.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.