Window sizes when docking and undocking a tablet PC with Windows 10

Discussion in 'Software' started by convergent, Jul 5, 2017.

1. convergent

convergent Scribbler - Standard Member

Been using the nSP for a few weeks and the docking/undocking experience is a bit frustrating. Like an hour ago when I needed to run downstairs for a few minutes, I just grabbed my nSP and left. When I came and redocked, all my windows were max screen on the 4K display... ugh. Is there any good solution to allow it to remember which display I'd prefer my apps on; and how big to size the windows; when docking and undocking? I'm guessing no... but its causing me to not use my tablet because I don't want 5 minutes of resizing when I redock.

2. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

This problem dates back to the Surface Pro 3, Windows doesn't handle multiple monitors very well. They've taken a static approach, the software expects you to keep your monitor connections, not go in or out of them all the time. Kind of strange it hasn't been corrected, I'd imagine there'd be lots of Microsoft engineers and by that behavior. But maybe they thought developing the Studio was a cheaper solution?:eek:

3. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

It gets even worse if the external monitors don't use the same interface zomming level of the surface. :D

Kumabjorn likes this.
  4. lblb

lblb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

That is a very commonly described issue. There are a few programs out there that are quite popular to deal with this kind of issue. The most popular and cheap one ($10) might be:
    http://www.desksoft.com/WindowManager.htm

Also more functional but more expensive:
    https://www.actualtools.com/windowmanager/

If you don't want to spend any money, although it seems like it could be worth it for your needs, you could also potentially write some code in something like AutoHotkey.

Azzart and Kumabjorn like this.
  5. convergent

These look pretty good... any opinion on why I'd want the more expensive one? I primarily want to define two profiles... one for docked and one for mobile; with the docked defining which windows, and what size and location, I want my windows.

6. lblb

The more expensive one has way more functions, that you may not need from what you say. Apart from window sizes and positions, it allows you to do a whole bunch of things like customizing different taskbars on different monitors, adding useful buttons in the title bar of windows, changing the transparency of windows, mirroring a specific window, etc. Note that the whole package is called "Actual Windows Manager" (it's great! I've been using it for a long time!) but that the options you seem to be looking for might be available in one of their smaller packages called "Actual Multiple Monitors".

However, since there is a free fully functional trial for the less expensive first option I mentioned, you might want to start there and see if it corresponds to your needs.

7. convergent

I tried the first one and it seems to be doing what I need. The configuration is quite confusing so I've spent a couple of minutes fiddling and not sure exactly what I've configured but it seems to be working partially, with one major flaw.

I was able to save a configuration of a few windows when docked, and then save a configuration of the same windows all full screen when undocked. I set a trigger for it to switch profiles when the screen's total resolution switches so now when I dock and undock it switches automatically. The thing that I don't seem to be able to get it to do is keep windows on my second display. Everything that I want to be on my Surface Pro display when docked ends up full screen on my external display. I want OneNote and Windows Mail full screen on the Surface Pro when docked... and no matter what settings I've tried they end up back on the external display.

I'll keep trying to figure it out and maybe send an email to the developer; but if no go then will try the more expensive one.

Thanks again for the tips.

8. convergent

After trying both of these for a short time today, they are both confusing as heck to get to work. I thought the cheaper one was, and then tried the other found it was way more confusing. After unsuccessfully getting the second one to do much of anything I wanted, I went back to the first. I did get a reply from the support email helping me get the two windows I wanted to stay on my Surface to go back there after docking. For $10 it does the basic trick I wanted it to do. The other one I'm sure is way better but I don't have the time to try and figure it out. One thing I did see that I think the cheaper one does and the other I didn't see in the settings, is to trigger switching automatically rather than requiring a hotkey. When I dock and undock now, my main windows go to where I want them.

Kumabjorn likes this.
  9. lblb

@convergent

I'm glad you found something that corresponded to your needs. And it's pretty cool that their customer support helped you. Thanks for leaving a trace of your discoveries as I'm sure other Win 10 users will find the info useful.

10. convergent

After some more time using these, I'm still having some challenges. It turns out that if I make the Surface Pro display secondary, then OneNote 2016 won't allow inking (known "feature). If I swap things around and make the Surface Pro primary, and then move the task bar to the other display, it doesn't stay there through docking and it also causes child windows (like in Outlook) to open to the wrong display, even if I'm on the external to start.

I found another utility called Display Fusion... anyone tried this?

It may be that the other two above would support this but they are both fairly difficult to configure and I've not seen how to do it. May try this other one.