[Win8] Eraser, touch screen, palm rejection, tablet buttons, auto rotation

Discussion in 'EP121 Slate' started by indigofremont, Jul 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. indigofremont

indigofremont Pen Pal - Newbie

I am using Windows 8 Release Preview on my Asus EP121, and Photopshop CS6. After following the directions as per this thread, I was able to get pressure sensitivity to work where applicable, but have run across some odd issues:

1. In Photoshop CS6 I cannot rest my hand on the screen while drawing. Palm rejection does not seem to work here, Windows Journal, or in the app FreshPaint. I have determined that palm rejection also does not work in Artrage Studio.

2. In Photoshop CS6 and in Artrage, when I invert the digitizer to erase, the tool obviously switches to the eraser, but the eraser end of the pen does nothing when applied to the screen. This issue does not exist in other inking applications: I have tried using the eraser end of the digitizer in OneNote, FreshPaint, Windows Journal. It does NOT work in MSPaint, but then again, I'm not sure if it is supposed to.

3. How to get auto-rotate working? G-sensor driver does not seem to work.

4. When going to the Control Panel -> Hardware and Sound, there are several different configuration headings dealing with the touch screen, pen, and touch input - Pen and Touch, Tablet PC Settings, Pen Tablet Properties, and Touch Settings.
    [​IMG] Tablet PC Settings has an option to set what tablet buttons do, but when clicked on it gives me an error that there are no tablet buttons.
    EDIT: Here is a screenshot of the menu item and subsequent error, as requested.
    [​IMG]

The second two headings for controlling pen and touch look directly related to Wacom, have dialogues with a Wacom logo in the corner and have different icons than the first two, which had very Windows-y looking icons.

[​IMG] Pen Tablet Properties - Set up pen tablet, remove preferences, download driver update. Has a separate calibration prompt. Clicking "About" shows Version 7.0.7-4.​
    [​IMG] Touch Settings. When clicked, gives an error message stating A supported touch screen was not found on the system. (I think this may have something to do with why palm rejection does not work.)​

I am at a loss as to how to fix these issues, but if anyone can help I would very much appreciate it.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  2. princenrj23

princenrj23 Pen Pal - Newbie

for point 3 => Auto rotate does not work in WIN8(DP, CP & RP)

3. tannerwooden

tannerwooden Pen Pal - Newbie

4. "Tablet PC Settings has an option to set what tablet buttons do" I do not see this option when I click on the icon you show pictured here. Could you screenshot that?

There appears to be limited sensitivity right out of the box with WIN8 RP, but no ability to configure it, or to access the second button on your Wacom pen. I used the same link you did to install drivers on my WIN8 RP and got the same results as you did. When I followed those instructions with the WIN8 CP, I was able to set my pressure sensitivity and the spare button. Hopefully someone smarter than me is working on this...

4. indigofremont

indigofremont Pen Pal - Newbie

Thank you very much. That is good to know.

Thanks for your reply. I updated the OP w/ the screenshot. I think the tablet buttons issue might have something to do with the fact that I've yet to get around to installing WinFlash (had some issues w/ it) and so have not yet updated the BIOS... Considering some people have said updating the BIOS has bricked their machines, I think I might just be able to live without the tablet buttons. (I am here referring to hardware buttons on the tablet, not pen buttons)

EDIT: Honestly, at this point I would settle just for a fix to get my pen's eraser working in Photoshop. :(

Last edited: Jul 4, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.