[Win8:CP] Home and Keyboard Buttons Working - Partially

Discussion in 'HP Slate' started by CruciasNZ, Mar 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CruciasNZ

CruciasNZ Pen Pal - Newbie

Howdy all,

First off my apologies that this is not an incredibly well organized guide. We can re-write it later once we have it all working!

Download the Software Framework and Quick Launch software. Put both into Win7 compatibility mode and also Run as Admin, then install.

Open RegEdit and navigate to:

HKCU\Hewlett-Packard\HP Quick Launch\Event\Bezel Button

8606 is the Home Key
    8607 is the Keyboard Key

This is as far as I have got, and I would advise you export your registry values before proceeding.

How It Performs

You have to launch the HPMSGSVC program in the HP Quick Launch folder everytime you boot so add it to startup.

Home Key: It minimizes windows, this also launched the start menu in Windows 7 but this does not launch the metro menu (it does launch the Win7 style menu if you disable Metro UI)

Keyboard Key: Launches the Win8 Keyboard the first time, and only the first time it's used after a boot. It will reliably close the keyboard everytime however.

Remapping Via GUI

Now you can download and install KeyTweak, when running this in Teach Mode you can now see and remap these keys. Unfortunately KeyTweak thinks that the Home key is the "B" key, so remapping automatically it doesn't do jack!

Now when using full teach mode I know the keys are as follows:

Volume Up: 57392
    Volume Down:57390
    Keyboard: <-- I couldn't get this one working in KeyTweak
    Home:57435
    Cnt Alt Del:57427

What's Next?

We need to figure out how to remap the Home Key, and also what is stopping they Keyboard key from only working once

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.