Win8.1 is it now obsolete?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by LeanLee, Jul 2, 2014.

1. LeanLee

LeanLee Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi All, I just bought a new win8.1 tablet from Amazon and set it up and then checked for updates. It found 53 so I installed them, but at the end of that, I do not have the latest June 13th, cut-off win8.1 Update 1, so it seems like this is going to be an obsolete version of win8.1 forever.

Is there anything I can do to update this to the current version with the "Off" button on the top right of the Start screen. This one still shows only the Admin icon.

Thanks

Lee

2. gcoupe

gcoupe Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It's a tablet - Windows 8.1 Update 1 doesn't show the "Off" button on the top right of the Start Screen, because it's a Connected Standby device. This is by design.

3. LeanLee

LeanLee Pen Pal - Newbie

OK, I was just using that as an indicator as my laptop has the Off button. But, the question still remains, is this version of 1in8.1 updated to the same level as my laptop?

When I go into File Explorer on the tablet it shows "Windows 8.1" on the laptop is shows, "Windows 8.1 Update 1"

As far as I can tell this tablet will no longer be updated by msoft just because I bought it after June 13th with the original win8.1 version OS.

I am surprised (alarmed?) that more people are not concerned bout this as there must be thousands of unsold win8.1 "things" sitting in warehouses that will never get the Update 1 and worse, never get security updates.

4. gcoupe

gcoupe Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I think you are worrying over a non-existent issue. I notice that my ThinkPad Tablet 2 is also showing in the System info in the Control Panel that it has "Windows 8.1 Pro" installed, whereas I know for a fact that it has all the latest updates installed, including Windows 8.1 Pro Update 1.

You should be able to see whether new updates are still being offered by going into Windows Update, and checking your update history. I'd be very surprised if you don't see that there are definition updates for Windows Defender being installed almost daily.

5. LeanLee

LeanLee Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks, but that does not mean the OS has been updated to the current win8.1.

As it happens I found a link to the pre-June update files, burned them to a CD then using an OTG pushed the seven pre-June 13th update to the tablet. After about two hours of working with that, I used the Update Center for another 36+9 updates and NOW, sme 3-1/2 hours later, the tablet is running the full current win8.1 update.

Not a process for the faint of heart. :) Fortunately been programming for 35+ years so not much scares me anymore.

All moot as I am sending the tablet back for other issues. The most irritating is using an external monitor and the display constantly swapping back to Portrait. Obviously a Lenovo firmware issue as I have tried with three different GFX (graphics) drivers and all do the same thing. Sucks so will try an Acer and/or a Dell instead, at least they both seem more responsive to firmware updates.