Win7 tx2000 overheating and shutting down

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by daghead, Mar 8, 2010.

1. daghead

daghead Guest

For the past few months beginning around the time I switched to Win7, barely a lot of Flash, rendering something minor with my video editor (Sony Vegas for XP :p), or running Media Center for a few minutes will cause the screen to abruptly fade to black, immediately followed by a hard shut down. This has happened probably a hundred times (yes, shame on me for taking so long to address this).

Strangely when plugged in and on an elevated surface the fan is always revving precariously. However when unplugged it runs almost silently (though Flash video is choppier), and I can't remember it ever shutting down in this state.

I've tried looking in the advanced power settings and found nothing significant to make it perform as though it was still on battery power when plugged in. The best thing I could find with people in the same situation had to do with the tx2500; HP released a utility to fix the BIOS to work with Win7, but it wouldn't do its work on my model.

So... does anyone know what I can do to effectively fix the power settings, or say to HP when I send it in for the end of my 2 year warranty?

2. Tiezep

Tiezep technology enthusiast

well it does run hot like it's supposed to, but maybe the fan/heatsink is clogged up and fails to cool the cpu in high performance AC mode.

still if you have a warranty then that could qualify for a shiny new something (or just all your data erased), because hard shutting down by overheat is a flaw on the manufacturers part.

also the machine is set to underclock itself if it's not plugged in (down to 800 mhz I read) so that's why it never shuts down while on battery.

also when you get it back and your warranty is expired you should mod the heatsink and underclock the gpu and cpu.

that way you can run cooler, your compy won't die and you'll still get most of the performance when on AC (if the cpu is underclocked),
    -Tyler

3. daghead

daghead Guest

Good advice. Can you recommend a method of going about this underclocking business? I have have no experience with this kind of advanced stuff.

...off topic, and I won't hold you accountable, but I don't have a lot of money- if it's still possible would anyone still recommend extending the warranty for another year?

4. Tiezep

I don't really know about underclocking the cpu myself, otherwise I would be running at 1.8 ghz right now.

however the search function on this website works really well, lets see what I can find after I finish my paper for comp 1.
    -Tyler

5. daghead

daghead Guest

I did some looking myself earlier and a guide suggested it can be done on any computer via the BIOS menu. Which is strange to me but I'll have to try it out.

6. Tiezep

have fun trying. as far as I know hp has been locking the clock rate in the bios since what seems like forever now.

I tried amd fusion and have it set as a power setting, but when I set the max clock rate to 90% in power options the clock goes down to 1050 mhz (according to amd overdrive and rm clock). heck, even at 99% it goes down to 1050 mhz.

can any software over-clockers on this forum lend a helping hand?
    -Tyler :confused:

7. Garnito

Garnito Pen Pal - Newbie

I have a tx1000, which I believe to have the same faulty chipset as the tx1000. My computer has stopped working in one way or another 4 times thus far. I've sent it in for the fourth or fifth time and will most likely have it replaced.

If you're still under warranty, definitely send it in. My computer is also silent unplugged, but that's because it goes into energy saving mode and clocks the cpu down to 800Mhz from 2.0. If it has the same chipset as the tx1000 (which I believe it does) then the longer warranty is probably worth it. The tx1000 is a turd because of the fact that the chipset fails causing things like black screen, no wifi etc.

8. iofthestorm

iofthestorm Pen Pal - Newbie

In Windows 7, go to the power settings control panel thing, choose a profile, go to advanced options, and one of the things should be processor power management, which will let you set a maximum and minimum percentage of the maximum clock speed (well, minimum is 800mhz but it says 5%, the percentages are really just ballparky). I have the same laptop and mine is just now starting to give me issues with booting. No warranty for me though, I only had one year, and I bought it from Circuit City which no longer exists >.<

9. daghead

daghead Guest

Dude did you buy CC's extended warranty? I did because they only promoted themselves and I didn't know how the warranty thing worked. But before the first year was up I found out I could still extend HP's, and CC was legally obligated to let me return the warranty extension because It hadn't been used yet.

To be secure I erased my HDD with DBAN before sending it in. When they sent it back they had re-imaged it to Vista, and yet the report said they were able to duplicate the problem (or they just knew the problem well) and "system board" and "heatsink fan" were checked off as "repaired / replaced". I restored my exact last state with Win7's disk image backup, and it is working BEAUTIFULLY again!!!