Win7 Starter Edition on a Netbook. Limitations?

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows 7' started by dunkaroo, Jul 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dunkaroo

dunkaroo Pen Pal - Newbie

I do know that this is a Tablet PC forum, but as a tablet user already (Lenovo X200 Tablet), I'm just thinking of getting a netbook because they are small, light, and well, they are just so cute. Mostly, I just want to play DVDs on them while traveling, and sitting around.

Anybody know what the issue is with Windows 7 Starter Edition. I keep reading that Win7 Starter is installed on most netbooks nowadays and that there are real limitations with the Starter Edition. I don't understand what the DVD limitation is. Can I not play DVDs with Win7 Starter Edition? Why not if the netbook comp has a DVD player already on it?

2. cdwyer

cdwyer Pen Pal - Newbie

Dunkaroo - provided that the netbook you get has a cd/dvd player in it, you shouldn't have a problem... but finding that will probably be pretty difficult.
    I happen to own one of those "cute" netbooks, which happens to run Windows 7 Starter.
    There are, from what I can tell, three particularly glaring defects with Win 7 Starter:
    1 - You can't change the background without downloading a separate program to compensate for that (not a major issue)
    2 - If you ever want to upgrade from Starter to something else, you have to get the full version of the Windows program you want - or hack the upgrade version, which seems to be a bit of a hassle.
    3 - Unlike in other "higher" levels of Windows 7, when you move your cursor over a taskbar icon of a program in use, it doesn't give you a full "peek" at the windows of that program - just a blurb or web url, no picture.
    Other than that, I haven't found any major issues with it - but, I've only had said netbook for 6 months. Maybe other Forum Members know more.

3. adam.mt

adam.mt Super Moderator Senior Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.