Win7 RC and x61

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by DRTigerlilly, Aug 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hajensen

hajensen Pen Pal - Newbie

I had really problems with win7 beta on my x61 with multitouch-screen. Does anybody know if it will be easier with the RC?

Henrik

2. samuelmaskell

samuelmaskell Scribbler - Standard Member

I had very problems with posting your read.

3. alphakenny1

alphakenny1 Pen Pal - Newbie

be kind. He might be a foreigner.

4. hajensen

hajensen Pen Pal - Newbie

Well, as I presume you won't understand my Norwegian you have to accept my english as it is.

So the question still is; will the win7 RC work well on my x61 tablet multitouch?

Henrik

5. Frank

Frank Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

give it a try. If Win Vista works fine, Win 7 should work fine, too. In the worst case you have to install the driver in some compatibilty mode, but don't know exactly what you have to do for this.

6. Thresher

Thresher Pen Pal - Newbie

Henrik,

I downloaded and installed the X61T multitouch driver from Lenovo for Vista and it worked great. I am actually very impressed with Windows 7 and multitouch. Feels better in terms of responsiveness (could be placebo) but it has more functionality for it's onscreen keyboard and writing.

I am going to install fingerprint next. Im sure this is all covered by others in these forums though.

7. MikeRoz

MikeRoz Pen Pal - Newbie

Is there a way to get the auto-rotation to work for those of us that did not did an upgrade install?

8. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Senior Member

install the vista graphics drivers, and the tablet shortcut button for vista.

9. keith11

keith11 Scribbler - Standard Member

I am a little surprised as there are not many posts in this thread. Aren't many people installing Windows 7 RC? Edit: I just saw another thread about win 7 and drivers.

Anyway, I took the plunge today and installed Win 7 RC 2 Build 7201 on one of my partitions as a clean install. It looks fine and almost everything that I can remember and need, works fine. As it has been pointed out, the auto-rotation of the screen does not work, but which can be solved with vista drivers (from Lenovo?). I am still not using Win 7 is my primary OS and also not thinking about upgrading my Vista Business installation but I have the following questions if someone can throw some light on these:

1. While I was trying to upgrade my graphics driver directly from Intel, I got a notification saying that the driver installed on my system (in Win 7 RC), is a higher version (it also whoed the version number) that what I was trying to install. This is interesting because the version tht I was trying to install from Intel shows as the latest on their Web site.

2. I do not have enough memory to test this but I was wondering if essential applications like MS Office, Nortin Antivirus, etc. work fine with Win 7 RC.

3. Has anyone tried upgrading their Vista Business to Win 7 RC? How long did it take? Are there any problems during or after the installation? Do all the Lenovo apps and functions work fine if the OS is upgraded as opposed to a clean install of Win 7 RC?

4. I have 3.5 GB free on my C drive and I read somewhere that I need 9 GB free for an upgrade from Vista to Win 7 RC. But is that always the case or I can still go ahead and upgrade it?

Thanks for all the help.

10. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Senior Member

Don't upgrade the OS....1, you don't have enough space and 2, the installation is likely to be slow & buggy and have conflicts...a clean install is always better.

Your programs/applications will work just fine.
    As the product is in beta/unreleased, Microsoft will have newer drivers available to them, than Intel will publish on their website....this is normal. In any case if you need rotation you will either need to install the vista drivers OR manually edit the Intel/Microsoft drivers yourself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.