Win7 Heat-Shutdown

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by Jor-dan, Feb 5, 2009.

1. Jor-dan

Jor-dan Tablet-Loving Student

I don't get it... my tx2500 does not seem to have any sort of actual CPU temperature gauge, but when it gets real hot it shuts down or goes into hibernation. I had seen this happen in extreme cases in vista, but it seems to happen a lot in Win7. I know It's a little dusty inside, and I gotta get a can of compressed air shot into the vents, but still, this is rediculous! I've got an external cooling fan working extra hard just to keep the thing from burning itself alive.

I seriously doubt this thing is going to fry itself before getting hot enough to be too hot to touch, so is there any way I can disable the auto-hybernate? It's getting ridiculous.

Note: It might not even be caused by heat... last night I was on battery power doing NOTHING intensive at all and it kept randomly turning off the monitor and being weird.

Windows 7 has a few little glitches, but other than that, I like it a lot.

Anyway, bottom line is, can anyone tell me how to disable the auto-hibernate that saves it from meltdown?

2. 970261

970261 Scribbler - Standard Member

personally, don't use the air can on the laptop vents

dust tends to cling on more, use a vacuum instead (vacuum cleaner)
    maybe it's hardware related? or even OS related as its still in beta hardware doesn't "clock down"?

have you tried clocking the CPU down? there was a thread and program to help the PC keep cool

3. Jor-dan

I have it on balanced mode... and I keep the resource monitor up at all times... the processor is only allowed as much power as it needs... it undervolts it dynamically when the processes are less intensive.

4. 970261

O~kay...might be stupid, but how hot/cold is the area u use the laptop in? and does it shutdown in tablet or PC mode?

also when i meant undervolting, i meant the program here (http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/showthread.php?t=21877)

5. Jor-dan

I'm in utah... and I keep my room below room temperature...

I did take a can of air to it and it seems to be doing a LOT better.. i just had it at 100% CPU usage for about an hour and nothing happened... not even heat... the fan was just getting clogged. I have a little xbox360 cooler-fan sucking extra air through the machine as well

Also, the heat-shutdowns are in pc... the random monitor-offs are in tablet

6. flanders

flanders Pen Pal - Newbie

make sure you use it on something like balanced power mode (or power saver). i run win 7 all the time and it almost never even runs the fans it's so cool. I believe a BIOS update also added a full-time fan at very low speed to help cooling.

i've even got the 2.4ghz proc and it stays pretty cool most of the time and I don't see any performance issues. As it happens, even running Win 7 full time I've never even had a BSOD.

7. Frank

Frank Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

well, first you should check your CPU temperatures. Use a tool like Notebook Hardware Control or any other tool to read the CPU temperatures.
    Then record theses values and the next time the PC crashes look at the saved temperature values and then you see if it really overheated.

Maybe it's something completely different. A small voltage break-in and Windows thinks the battery is empty or whatever and goes to hibernate mode.

It's also strange that Windows shuts down sometimes but also hibernates sometimes. So why does it hibernate once and the other time it turns off completely? That makes no sense if the CPU temperature is really the culprit.

Monitor: When the monitor turns off, look close at it, maybe it's still on, only the backlight is off. Maybe your inverter is faulty or, as already said, you have a voltage problem and your DC-DC converter is damaged.

8. Jor-dan

Hmm... My monitor doesn't have a backlight-off capability

Anyway, a good shot of coMpressed air, shot carefully through the cents and the fan seems to have relieved the issue... It got pretty bad! Now it only runs hot on intense programs.

Win7, on balanced, seems to keep my heat pretty low! Even while watching cable tv!

Another question though: on battery, even on high performance mode... No matter what option I choose, it caps the processor off at 50%... what's up with that?!

9. 970261

the newer BIOS puts a cap on processor usage. Is it so on yours?