Win10 Tablet Experience Changing... Again...

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Steve S, Aug 30, 2019.

1. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

lovelaptops likes this.
  2. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Big uh-oh! I can't make any sense of this: W10 "tablet mode" has always been a joke, barely worth invoking (I like keeping the task bar, since it's not like the TM really enhances the touch experience anyway), and it sounds like they're basically making it worse! The only good news is that it's virtually the same as desktop now and I assume they can't make it *less* touch-friendly than desktop, can they??

What totally perplexes me is how they cannot see that they could grab/not lose some share to iPad if they would just not be tablet-hostile. I mean, what do I (and all of you) see that MS doesn't? None of this is remotely rocket science; so easy to implement an approach more W8-like in tablet mode, no? Anyone care to guess at motives??

3. crazycat

crazycat Scribbler - Standard Member

90% windows user use desktop, laptop and 10% use tabletpc. So W8 get 90% hater and 10% lover. With W10 they reserve it to please the 90% first and the 10% later. I have noticed after the switch to W10, 10" and smaller pure tablet devices is slowly extinct, while most recent devices are 12" or larger with some sort of keyboard, which can run in desktop mode without issue. Sub 10" pure tablet is disappearing, so there is no longer the need to make touch interface smooth and convenient, which is a must-have for those size. Unless they are planning to shrink WOA devices (which is easy, even phone-sized is possible) in size and design features for it in W10, we might not be able to see tablet mode improved.

Still on W8 on all my tablets that come with it. W8 offer the most stable, smooth tablet experience IMO. W10 is just way to buggy and I barely turn on the tablet mode because it felt even more inconvenient than desktop mode, on screen keyboard take forever to pop up and and it can't work well in extended mode.

My opinion may be biased though because I even go out of my way to buy a W8 license for my desktop after W10 is out. I wish I could "downgrade" all my devices with W10 out of the box to W8. It's just that much more stable :/.

efjay, WillAdams and lovelaptops like this.
  4. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

I couldn't agree with you more, all counts!!!

5. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I have never used, nor have I liked tablet mode. I much prefer the desktop with my main programs on the task bar. Lesser used programs are stored on the start menu. Looks like no real change here.

WillAdams likes this.
  6. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

That's the thing that bugs me though. It shouldn't be an either or proposition.

The windows 8x tablet experience was better than the current Windows 10. OTOH the desktop experience is much improved in 10x. Since most of the devices can tell when they are being used in tablet or desktop mode, I'm fine with a quick "switch to tablet or desktop mode "dialog box.

I've said it before, but it's worth repeating, MS seems to believe that Windows 8 was a disaster and they have been backing away from it ever since. It even extends to the virtually abandoned UWP apps on down the line to how poor the windows tablet interface for the office apps are compared to those on the iPad for instance.

It's almost as if they have ceded tablets to Apple

7. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Thurrott basically confirmed this in May:

"Microsoft is effectively killing UWP by ensuring that all its capabilities are available to once-legacy app development platforms.

...Instead of blindly pushing forward with its failed strategy to make Universal Windows Apps (UWPs) the only truly-modern platform for building Windows apps, Microsoft has, over time, opened up more and more UWP functionality to non-UWP platforms. This includes legacy platforms that Microsoft once deprecated, like Win32, WPF, and WinForms."

And here's the kicker:

“Apps … don’t need to be in the Store,” Gallo admitted.

So this opens up the small possibility that WOA/Win10 S/Windows Core devices will eventually be able to run x86 suites like Adobe CC "more natively", if the developers put in the effort.

8. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...So this opens up the small possibility that WOA/Win10 S/Windows Core devices will eventually be able to run x86 suites like Adobe CC "more natively", if the developers put in the effort...>>

But that's always the case. The problem is that the developers don't seem to be interested and Microsoft has demonstrated that they don't know how to motivate them...

9. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

MS Store takes a 5% cut.

I actually think initially tying "UWP == MS Store App" really hindered early UWP adoption from the established x86 developers. Not only do you have to put the effort convert to UWP, but you also lose 5% of your revenue.

Without Adobe or any other major dev support, that pretty much sentenced the MS Store to Candy Crush and other mobile ports. No wonder the MS Store never took off. :p

10. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The only reason Apple's app store is what it is because of the iPhone. Apple's timing was impeccable. They knew they had THE hot product and that everyone wanted on board and thus could dictate the rules. Inertia plus the fact that Apple requires approval for any apps has created the perception of quality and security. (not going to argue if that's actually true, just talking perception)

I wonder if MS could do something similar i.e. Make a really radically impressive surface type device, price it aggressively, running on WOA. Then make the only way to get apps is through the store.

There is a lot of ifs and assumptions in the above and I doubt MS could do that or has the guts for that matter. But could you imagine a sub $1000 courier?