Win10 on Lenovo Yoga 2 tablet 10"

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by taz5176, Feb 2, 2015.

1. cool8man

cool8man Pen Pal - Newbie

How easy is it to rollback from Windows 10 to the original shipping OS? I want to try out Windows 10, but if it is disappointing as I expect I want to be able to go back to Windows 8.1.

2. bizlazybug

bizlazybug Pen Pal - Newbie

As long as you copy the recovery drive onto a USB before you update to Windows 10 you should be able to get back to 8.1 pretty easily.

3. gcoupe

gcoupe Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

You don't even need to do that. Installing the Win10TP does not overwrite/remove the Lenovo recovery partition. I've been able to go back to Win 8.1 on my Y3Pro using it. Mind you, the belt and braces approach of making a USB copy is probably not a bad idea. Murphy's Law still holds more often than not.

4. bizlazybug

bizlazybug Pen Pal - Newbie

Oh I see. Did you just use the "Reset my PC" function? I tried it recently on the Yoga tablet and it resets to Windows 10. I also tried using diskpart in command prompt to removed the entire partition Windows 10 was installed to and that also just re-installed Windows 10 from the built in recovery.

5. taz5176

taz5176 Pen Pal - Newbie

yoga 3 should be running the full windows. yoga 2 is running the windows with bing, it doesnt allow win10 upgrade, have to clean install. i'm not sure if the yoga 2 origina recovery will still be around after clean install.

i used macrium software to do a full backup of the yoga 2 original os before performing the win10 clean installation. i only tried with build 9926, not sure if other newer builds are the same?

6. cool8man

cool8man Pen Pal - Newbie

Tried to upgrade/install build 10041 on Yoga Tablet 2 and things went worse than expected. It took 3 attempts to get the Windows Update install to complete successfully. After that Windows 10 booted up to the lock screen with no issues, but once it started to boot the desktop it would constantly crash Windows Explorer over and over every few seconds. About one out of every two dozen reboots it would allow me to use the OS. On the few times it did work I attempted to download and install the latest build 10061, but unfortunately build 10061 only got to 6% installed before failing. At that point I decided to go back to Windows 8.1 using my USB recovery disk. Unfortunately the process of uninstalling Windows 10 TP was a lot harder than I expected. I had to follow these instructions using diskpart from the command prompt and clearing away the whole partition. The whole experience felt like it was nowhere close to ready and far buggier than Windows 8 preview was at this point in 2012.

From the brief moments I got to play with it I found the taskbar obtrusive. I really wish they could've just added Cortana & Action Center to Windows 8.1 rather than to create this monstrosity. Simple things like being able to use a Charms slider to adjust screen brightness are gone. The edge swipes worked very poorly and unreliably. The whole experience felt like a big step backwards from Windows 8.1.

7. AgentAwful

AgentAwful Pen Pal - Newbie

I updated my Yoga tablet 2 (10", windows) to Win10 using the windows update. I didn't like it very much because it feels unstable and a little slower than with 8.1. I then used the built in "downgrade" function of win 10 to get back to win 8.1. The tablet tried to recover the previous version for about 3 hours... it just says something like "recovering your system...please wait" (sorry, I don't have it nearby, so I don't remember correctly", then it tries to restart, fails and goes back to the black screen with the same message... Now I don't have any OS -.- I just hope, booting a new OS from SD card is possible without keyboard and mouse (haven't done this on a tblet up to now). So much for the recovery function...

8. afripino

afripino Pen Pal - Newbie

After installing the following driver from the Lenovo Support page, my Yoga Tablet 2 is running much better with Windows 10! I had the same complaints about sluggishness...

Intel BYT Platform Drivers for Windows 10 (32-bit) - YOGA Tablet 2 - 1051F/L

9. Fiskar

Fiskar Pen Pal - Newbie

Took 3 long tedious goes to get Windows 10 onto the tablet, I quite like it but I have ditched Microsoft Edge as a browser after 6 weeks as I am quite fed up with its quirks. Now back on chrome which is much better.
    On the MS Edge browser the following were a pain
    1) I could not use finger swipe to swipe back wards
    2) Page refresh was immensely slow on some webpages, when you are paying by visa for an item you really do not need the page to hang up after pressing payment.
    3) Not finding the webpage, chrome could Edge couldn't
    4) Page down and spacebar to scroll would not work unless you touched the page, then it would work for a few pages and you had to do that again.

Only good thing was the memory not clapping out with the number of open windows including Youtube.

10. fiesta

fiesta Pen Pal - Newbie

hello members,
    I have also a question related to this subject, it is still possible to upgrade to win10 when you make use of "assistive technologies'". But also in this case, you need free space which is a problem.

I,m also motivated to upgrade to win10 because i did read! for this screen size (till 10.1) you can use for free the "word mobile app" and some other office applications, which are developed for touch screens (right?).

Can / should i upgrade taken all the aspects into consideration! (does it (win10) also work good on this tablet?/ does it after installation/removing win 8.1 require more disk space than win8.1?), should i do so by removing the disk recovery partition?how?. I do have a micro sd card installed which can be used temporarely for additional space.

I look forward to your contribution how to handle.

greetings

fiesta

Last edited: Feb 4, 2017