Win10 Introduces "Pen Remoting"

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Steve S, Jul 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. testplayer

testplayer Scribbler - Standard Member

I am hoping that Microsoft can associate a digital pen to a HoloLens, then, whatever surface or paper or whiteboard you write using that pen, your ink strokes and pressure information will be recorded by the pen and transferred to HoloLens. In reality, there will be no ink left on any surface you draw, but in the augmented reality of HoloLens, anything you write using the associated pen will appear in front of your eye on OneNote or Photoshop or whatever apps. In this way, we can completely discard any tablet PC screen.

There is still many decades before we can connect computer to human brain such that we can completely discard the pen and use imagination to draw, so probably in the next half century, this could be the best solution to our dreams.

2. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

I just tested Pen Remoting to a Windows 10 Enterprise Machine running in Azure using OneNote. It worked as expected without lag. The VM reported 10 points of Touch and Pen Support.

testplayer likes this.
  3. testplayer

testplayer Scribbler - Standard Member

Wow, that's amazing! I hope MS can improve the RDP further so that I can extend the host's display to a client's display, in this way, any tablet PC will become a Cintiq Companion replacement. The problem of current RDP is that I cannot open OneNote on host and client simultaneously and cannot share clipboard across different user session.

4. miko3d

miko3d Pen Pal - Newbie

please Ignore

Last edited: Nov 4, 2015
  5. NamelessPlayer

NamelessPlayer Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

So I just thought to test this out after the Anniversary Update released and I finally managed to make the T902 installation not constantly install broken Wacom drivers without my consent.

Sure enough, it actually works! For anything using the RealTimeStylus API, pressure sensitivity and eraser mode go through just fine. Win-Tab obviously doesn't work, though - it's just too old.

I could actually drop the Cintiq Companion Hybrid altogether due to that, but I like it too much to even think of parting with it.

6. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Very interesting @NamelessPlayer! How's lag?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. NamelessPlayer

NamelessPlayer Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Lag on the home LAN is almost nonexistent, though having 802.11n on the T902, 802.11ac on the router and a solid Gigabit Ethernet line to my desktop surely helps with that.

It's either immediately responsive even when using huge brushes, or the framerate seems to take a hit. I'm not sure what may cause that due to the inherent complications with networking, but it's not nearly often enough to get in the way of drawing.

That said, the experience is bound to be much less pleasant if connecting remotely over the Internet, simply due to the latency involved.