Win10 Introduces "Pen Remoting"

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Steve S, Jul 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

2. NamelessPlayer

NamelessPlayer Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Well, we've been clamoring for this sorta thing for years already, and we FINALLY got it!

This might make using tablet PCs as makeshift Cintiq monitors for desktop workstations (read: computers that are not completely gimped with Intel graphics and lack the ability to serve as external monitors like the Cintiq Companion 2) much more practical, at least for anything that supports the RealTimeStylus API.

I'll be sure to test this soon, once I get Windows 10 up and running on my desktop.

3. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I just tried it on an SP3 remoting in to my desktop. It works but is too slow and laggy to be of much use. For some reason the desktop screen jumps to the login while the tablet is connected. Logging into the desktop ends the remote session. So this really doesn't qualify as a Cintiq replacement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Steve S

<<...So this really doesn't qualify as a Cintiq replacement...>>

...I think the article calls this a "collaboration tool." As such, I wouldn't expect it to have the kind of remote response necessary for serious art; rather, I think it is intended for marking up material and simple sketches in a group setting...

5. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I meant my Cintiq comment for @NamelessPlayer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Steve S

Yes, I know; I was just adding some additional comments...

surfaceproartist likes this.
  7. NamelessPlayer

NamelessPlayer Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Too much lag, still? Crap, I get the feeling that this is due to how they're updating the display. RDP's always been kinda laggy and stuttery because of it. Same for the various VNC iterations.

If they had an approach more like Steam In-Home Streaming or NVIDIA GameStream to a Shield device (or any Android device with Moonlight), that would suffice. Maybe a bit of perceived input lag (which has more to do with the video feed on the client, considering that inputs register practically instantly when I'm watching the desktop monitor), but still way better than RDP overall.

The thing is, those aren't exactly made with carrying active pen digitizer input back over in mind, and nobody's thought to mash up one of the two with VirtualTablet yet...

8. testplayer

testplayer Scribbler - Standard Member

What a pity if there is too much lag. This is perhaps the closest implementation of a cintiq companion replacement.
    Well, for me, as long as OneNote works without too much lag, it will be fine.

9. testplayer

testplayer Scribbler - Standard Member

You need to patch the Termsrv.dll or use RDP Wrapper to enable concurrent RDP session on Windows client OS, or you need to use windows Server OS. The real restriction or problem is that you cannot edit the same file simultaneously on your workstation and tablet. This is painful to me since I usually open at least 2 OneNote windows editing the same notebook files, and I usually drag one OneNote window to my LT1423p. RDP is designed to have multiple user login sessions, but not to extend the host's display to a remote client's display. So I guess this problem cannot be solved through RDP. Not sure if MS will add this feature to RDP in future.

For Windows 8.1, the multi-touch can pass through RDP smoothly. The only remain thing is the pen, so it is a great improvement in Windows 10, although it is still not exactly a solution to use a thin and light tablet to replace the heavy and bulky Wacom cintiq companion.

10. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

while the lag is disappointing I do hope pen-remoting still takes off. It may suck now...but give it another tech gen or two and it may be fully viable one day.