Win10 Free update looms near (7/29)... Who's holding out? Regrets?

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by b52hbuff, Jun 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. b52hbuff

b52hbuff Scribbler - Standard Member

As many on this forum know, the deadline to the Windows 10 Free update offer ends on 7/29. I have been enjoying my SP2 on Win8 since release day. I eagerly installed the 8.1 upgrade. I appreciate some folks agree with Pogue about "tile world" of Win8/81. But I think that Win8.1 was a great attempt to make a touch/tablet OS.

I like the edge swiping gestures for process control. I like the immersive browser.

...but I know Win81 is going to come to an end too...

So, is anyone holding out on the upgrade? After all of this time, is anyone regretting their upgrade to Win10? Would especially like to hear about experience from SP1/2 owners.

2. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I do not regret upgrading at all. The Action Centre, for me, is the main reason that I need not revert to Windows 10. I have the keyboard popping up when required, I can increase the start menu size and not enter the horrid tablet mode, it seems to be giving me no issues so there you go. Happy.

3. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I'm using both Windows 10(just for upgrades and any promotion store deal actually)and Windows 8.1(primary use)on my SP4.
    But I'm still having Thinkpad 8 with 8.1 pre installed and not willing to upgrade at all.

Windows 10 is a frankenstain OS.
    I don't like as its today
    But I think with RedStone 1 update in one month and RedStone 2 in spring 2017 will see several improvements and maybe things changed.

One thing is sure I will continue using 8.1 as my main OS until RedStone 2.

Sent from my iPad Air 2

Last edited: Jun 4, 2016
  4. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

As a bit of a hater of Windows 10 around these parts, I still would suggest upgrading and doing the rollback even if you're on the fence. That way, you get the license to use at any point in the future no matter what.

5. swanlee

swanlee Scribbler - Standard Member

I have moved to Win 10 but my biggest issue is and has always been the lack of a full screen touch web browser. Edge is now better but still not nearly as good as Modern IE was as far as touch browsers go.

I now use Yandex and it does a good job as a tablet/touch web browser but MS was stupid to push out Win 10 where tablet mode was so horrible.

6. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Ms = Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Ms probably has statistics for the amount of people that used the touch browser. Probably not that many. Not sure.

7. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Honestly, Edge is still not anywhere near ready for prime-time a year later. Not just for touch, but as a modern browser in general (and it's not just extension support that's the problem). They'd have been better off shipping with the Edge rendering engine as part of IE 12, and then a year or so from now, when Edge was ready, then going forward with rebranding/a new standalone product. The whole rebranding was done in the first place because people had such tainted associations with IE, and now because they released Edge too early, it too is tainted.

But regardless, I still recommend doing an upgrade even if you end up rolling back, just so you can take advantage of getting it for free.

8. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

Something I don't understand: unlike the surface pro 3, I recently ugraded the cintiq companion from 8.1 to 10, but there was no option to roll back to 8.1! Am I just unlucky?
    Had to wipe everything to reinstall 8.1.

9. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Still waiting here. Reluctant since I’d need to go to the 64-bit version to be able to run Affinity Serif Designer, which is the only app which won’t run in 32-bit Win8.1 that I’m interested in.

10. thierryb

thierryb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

My 2 AVN8 are now Using Win 10.
    The mostly used one is even on the insider release.
    Being on the insider release helped me to accept win10, because many bugs were solved earlier on the insider. Now we have new useful features like AdblockPlus and swipe on Edge. Even ergonomics was improved, like new position and look and feel of the notification button.
    I will no revert to win8 for any reason. Many improvements for a desktop user on my AVN8 tablet.
    The main limitation is one drive sync which has lost the fantom files.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.