Win 8 upgrade Touch stoped working

Discussion in 'EP121 Slate' started by aussiedeza, Nov 21, 2012.

1. aussiedeza

aussiedeza Scribbler - Standard Member

so i decided too play with win 8 pro, I installed using the upgrade option from win 7 pro, and had everything working other then the physical buttons abd the screen rotation from the the start.

I eventualy got the above issues resolved and ran win update after the update and restart Touch no longer worked while everything else is fine...

spent the whole day trying to fix this with no luck 😢 , touch works in the lock screen i can use it to enter my accounts password but after i login it just turns off..

I tried uninstalling the windows updates and installing latest drivers from asus but mainly just searching for a fix that doesnt seem to exist.

Can anyone can offer some solutions?

thanks.

2. aussiedeza

current driver for: EETI PCAP Multi touch digitizer

Provider: EETI
    Version: 1.2.0.0
    Date: 21/01/2011

3. aussiedeza

Is there more info i need too supply?? or is it just noone knows ???

4. aussiedeza

ASUS EP-121 Touch Not Working after Windows 8 Pro 64 Bit Install - Microsoft Community

Microsoft seems to think it could be fast start up that is causing the issue and has a hotfix, i tried to install it but seems its only for Win 8 RTM version (I have Win 8 Pro build 9200), also tried rebooting the machine with fast startup turned off and it didn't make any difference..

Going to See if cleaning the registry after uninstalling drivers makes any difference.

5. aussiedeza

From ASUS support:

EP121/B121 Windows8 upgrade limitation
    1. EP121/B121 only supports 2-finger touch input.
    2. Does not support Windows 8 Snap View*1 function due to the EP121/B121’s 16:10 aspect ratio.
    3. EP121/B121’s touch sampling rate*2 supports up to 50Hz only.

Does anyone have touch working on there Win 8?

6. aussiedeza

Some more info for others with same issue... It seems if i install win 8 upgrade i might get it to work as the problem is linked to Win 8 OEM not recognizing the touchscreen because its not a 5 point touch screen only a two point.

I received a reply from the maker of the touch panel. They said that the problem is that windows 8 full installs will not recognize the EP121 touch screen as a full muli-touch, so this problem is caused by Windows 8 hardware certification being strict.

I found a partial solution.

In device manager, I found the manufacturer name for the touch input function, and searched for their web site. On that site they listed drivers for Windows 7, so I downloaded them.

First I installed their touch utility, but it didn't seem to work correctly. So I uninstalled the utility, and instead dug into the folders that they provided as part of the driver / utility download, and fount the x64 folder (there is an x86 as well, of course). In that folder is a program called DPinst.exe. That only installs the driver.

Now I have single touch function. This verifies that the touchscreen is working, but the driver is not correct yet. Not all windows 8 functions work, and the touch only behaves like the mouse cursor.

I send an email to the company and asked them if they have an updated driver for Windows 8 available yet.

So, if single touch is enough to get you working, here is the web site for the download:

EETI eGalax Touch

- Download the Windows 7 driver
    - Extract the ZIP file
    - Browse to the x64 or x86 folder, depending which version of Windows you have.
    - Righ-click on DPinst.exe, select "Run as Administrator"

Install the drivers, and you should have at least some touch ability.

Come on, now, Asus and Microsoft - get us the correct drivers soon!!!!

Ill try this maybe i can atleast get single touch back

7. aussiedeza

The solution to this problem is simple.

If you installed an OEM copy of windows 8, the touch will not work as Microsoft requires OEM manufactures to meet the hardware requirements to make touch systems for windows 8. One of the requirements is 5 point multi-touch. B121 and EP121 are only two point. The solution is as follows;

Buy an upgrade key

on the OEM install, hit WIndows+R and enter slui.exe 3

Change the key to the Windows 8 Pro Upgrade key

Restart the tablet and two finger will be working.

From MS OEM CENTER:

In order to promote the best “touch” experience on PCs, OEM System Builder software for Windows 8 will support touch functionality only on hardware that has been certified for touch in Windows 8. When buying Windows 8 System Builder software, look for hardware that carries the “Windows 8 Compatible” logo and that has passed certification for touch capability. Touch hardware that is not certified for Windows 8 and does not include a special code provided to OEMs during the certification process and injected into the touchscreen’s firmware will not work once the System Builder product is installed; meaning that the PC will not be touch-enabled after Windows 8 is installed.

They can't be serious... No way Microsoft will see any of my $$ with that attitude

I can now confirm that the upgrade version allows the touch screen to work perfectly. I dug out the system restore disks from the Asus EP-121 and restored to my new hard drive, erasing all data (yet again).
    Then I bought the on-line download upgrade and installed it. The touchscreen works perfectly now. I feel much better now having a fully functional little tablet. It really does work nicely.

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2015
  8. aussiedeza

annoying that it was working perfectly fine till I ran windows update i wonder if i go through the above process if the problem will just reoccur after running the windows update again..?

9. wolfi

wolfi Pen Pal - Newbie

i've upgrade my slate from win7 with full reinstall and no pb with touch panel
    and i did it twice for upgrade hardware : reinstall win 8 pro
    no such pb
    in forum i've seen no post mentionned this pb

10. wolfi

wolfi Pen Pal - Newbie

my mistake there is a post mention it for windows 8 home version