Win 8 CP: Keyboard Pop Up?

Discussion in 'HP Slate' started by kartng, Apr 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kartng

kartng Pen Pal - Newbie

Neither the keyboard nor the new TIP pop up for me when I focus a text field in the Consumer Preview. This is true in "native" Microsoft apps like IE and OneNote, and also in apps like Firefox and Chrome. I'm stuck popping the keyboard out from the taskbar, since we lack a fully working keyboard button. Is this the same behavior everyone else is observing, or is something wrong with my setup? The only place where the keyboard DOES automatically pop up is at the login screen and on the "Search" charm screens...

2. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

No, it is not an issue with your installation or device. This is the new way they want it for some reason. Hopefully for Microsoft's future they put some of the TabletPC function back into the OS before they release it.

Many are noting this behavior at answers.miscrosoft.com but I am surprised it isn't a bigger deal. 'We' are in a very small niche market...

3. vap3

vap3 Pen Pal - Newbie

yeah its very annoying that when im in desktop mode and i hit somewhere with text i have to bring up the keyboard manually for it to pop up in the task bar

but some apps like google chrome recognizes it when i hit the address bar and the keyboard comes up automatically so could be a software issue?

4. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

I have been told that it is 'app' specific now which just about makes me puke.

5. efjay

efjay Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Wasnt like that in the Dev preview so maybe that is something that will change back. Definitely seems a stupid way to go as Windows 7 brings up the keyboard properly (in most cases).

6. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

On WinXP, the TIP pops up on every single textbox, of every single application....as reliable as a sunrise on the East! Starting with Vista, MS has been breaking the TIP a little bit everyday. They created a bug that inserts a space character before handwritten text. I've never seen this happen on WinXP. On Win8, they borked the TIP further: now the Handwriting Panel is limited to 2 lines (my guess is that they want people to handwrite with their fingers...like in kindergarten!). And they removed the Touch Flicks functionality too. :mad:

They have too much concern about putting the stupid ribbon everywhere, but have too little regard about the functionality that used to work. Congratu-freaking-lations, Microsoft!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.