win 7 upgrade fail, rollback to vista fails as well

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by tuebingen, Oct 22, 2009.

1. tuebingen

tuebingen Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi,

is anyone else seeing serious problems with the win7 upgrade? On a 1.5 year old tx2000 I tried to upgrade Vista 32bit home premium to Win7 32bit home premium upgrade and ended up with an infinite reboot cycle:

i) Win 7 did not install correctly (reboot)
    ii) rolling back to Vista; does only work for 30 sec, them aborts and reboots
    iii) back to i) :mad:

Luckily I backuped my whole hdd with easus, so I can go back to Vista from my bricked tx2000 :eek:

2. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

my experience has shown me NEVER upgrade. A clean install is always best. And you can use the upgrade media to do a clean install.

3. TabbedOut

TabbedOut Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

As far as I can tell (at least with the student upgrade) there is no option to do a "clean install" (by that I mean that you cannot wipe the drive and start anew). I have installed the 32bit versions on my Sony and my wife's Gateway and found it to be the case in both instances. When i get the official discs tomorrow from newegg I'll post on that experience, but I doubt that it will be much different.

FWIW, it appears that the upgrade, even from a Windows 7 RC environment is for all intents and purposes a clean install (none of my other programs installed, none of my mods to the OS implemented).

4. DRTigerlilly

Hey TabbedOut just curious, b/c Paul Thurrot has been saying that MS told him it was possible in the upgrade disks, maybe as you say it is not available in the Student Upgrade disks which would be a huge flaw, but i'm curious to know if at no point does it ask you for original Vista disks?

5. TabbedOut

TabbedOut Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

As it turns out the "student upgrade disks" are not disks at all (or even an ISO file)... it is 3 files, 1 .exe and 2 .box that comprise the student upgrade (just like the Vista deal for students). I ended up converting them over to an .iso file and AFAIK this is equivalent to the regular upgrade disk that I created. I will have a better idea tomorrow when I get my official disks from newegg

6. DRTigerlilly

ok went back to thurrot's site while i waited for him to respond on twitter, but found a user that said he converted his upgrade files to an iso and was able to do a clean install.

from user dbf11

The user has mentioned that he hasn't gone through the activation process however, b/c he wants to activate different hardware, so that remains to be seen.

Will still wait on official response from Paul Thurrot or Microsoft or TabbedOut's response after he gets his disks tomorrow.(www.winsupersite.com)

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015