Win 7 on TC1100...argh...

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by dceggert, Dec 9, 2010.

1. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

Well, I have read the wiki's, the lists, the posts, etc. I have reloaded Win 7 onto my trusted TC1100 (this is the second time) thinking that I would be able to solve the video driver issue this time armed with new information and files. The issue...lock up on resume from sleep...every time. IE: 'sleep of death.'

I have tried the original driver(s) from HP, the fix.zip file patch, the Omega drivers, and the one from laptopvideo2go. I even tried the MX 420 drivers. In summary it comes down to; I can either live with the resume issue or suffer without portrait mode. I must have a t-rubble machine.

This is sad since Win 7 inking is so much better than XP. I may need to resinstall it though since using hibernation instead of sleep really slows my day down (probably not but it sure SEEMS like it). Oh well, I will continue to limp along until my new 160 GB hard drive gets here and then I need to make a decision.

2. cmergel

cmergel DBA by trade.

Have you recently tried wiping it and starting over? I would load the basic must need TC1100 drivers with the Vid/hack. At that point does it work?

Side question for you. Have you tried running Amazon Kindle app or Borders Kobo app with TC1100? I want to start looking at the Tablet as an ereader and found a weird issue where the stylus pen in portrait mode in both apps acts all wonko. The pen does the opposite of what you do. You place on the bottom of the page it is at the top, tap on the left side the cursor is on the rights side. It is just plain wonko. It does the exact same thing with both apps. I don't have a problem with any other app/program in portrait mode.

Any way good luck getting your TC1100 working with W7.

3. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

cmergel,
    Yup, I appear to have a problematic unit that sometimes cooperates but mostly does not. My latest re-install of Win 7 still has trouble sleeping. It worked once that I know of but mostly will not resume. The third time re-installing was last week when I put in a brand new 160 GB HDD. I wanted a 128 GB SSD but I wasn't going to spend $300 for one when I can use that towards a new TabletPC depending on what I see after CES. The 'new' 160 GB HDD was $40. Not bad!

So I cope by now having my power button hibernate it. It is an acceptable compromise but I would still prefer sleep mode.

I have downloaded the Kindle program but have yet to install it. When I do I will let you know.

4. thadwald

thadwald Scribbler - Standard Member

Sleep should work in windows 7 on the TC1100. I use mine every day in class and I sometimes go for weeks without restarting or hibernating. The best driver is the one provided by HP for windows XP. Make sure that you have the latest BIOS installed. Befor you run the setup program, right click the .exe and set the 'run in compatibility mode for windows xp' and the 'run as administrator' options.
    As for the pen, I have the same problem; I used the tablet for half a year with the wacom driver and then it abruptly stopped working in portrait mode. It fails to orient with the screen. I don't think that this has anything to do with an app, but I could be wrong; the problem exists regardless of what program I have open. When I remove the generic wacom driver and keep only the HP pen driver, it works again, but I don't have pressure sensitivity in photoshop and I miss the hover-right click feature that the wacom driver provided. I have tried reinstalling the wacom driver but it happend again within a few weeks.
    Kindle works great on the TC1100. I have assigned the tab button on the side to F11, which toggles full-screen mode in those programs that support, it and it works well in the Kindle reader. Also the jog dial on the right side (portrait) lets you move to the next page. The device is somewhat heavy to use as a reader but the Kindle app is free...