Win 7 on 2710p use 32 or 64 bit version

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by mjposner, Jan 14, 2009.

1. mjposner

mjposner Pen Pal - Newbie

I have a 4gb 2710p and I hate Vista, so I thought I would try the Windows 7 beta. I use 64 Vista on my home rig without issues so I wanted to see what you all would suggest, try 64 bit or stick with the 32 bit??

Michael

2. rocke86

rocke86 Scribbler - Standard Member

If you have a 64bit processor, since it is just a beta I'd say go for it. Just make sure you have 64 bit vista drivers, they should work in 7. If this is your primary pc I'd avoid 7 since you don't want choking when you need it.

3. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

all the core 2 duo processors are 64 bit processors, if you're happy w/ 64 bit on your home rig you should have no issues with it on your 2710p. If you want to try Windows 7 remember it is beta, i'd advise to try a dual boot scenario.

4. mjposner

Well I installed 32 bit to be on teh safe side. First it looks better and seems much snappier. Firefox, Quicken and Itunes all seem to work fine, it was an upgrade install and it got my network connections right as well. In fact only issue was MS Word 2002 which crashes. I believe that MS breaks these on purpose to get you to upgrade. So instead I'll use Open Office.

5. Nihility

Nihility Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm just gonna say that I highly doubt that and that you might want to get that paranoia checked out by a doctor.

6. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

@ mjposner clean installs are known to have less issues than upgrades.

7. mjposner

After spending some more time with Win 7 I had to go back to Vista. Could not print over network, and printing crashed explorer. I will definetly upgrade when it is out as it looks better and runs faster.

8. eternalyperplxed

eternalyperplxed Pen Pal - Newbie

Where did you find the drivers for Windows 7 on the 2710p? Specifically the ones to enable screen rotation. After running the updates from HP, I am told the OS is not supported. Is there another method to get these drivers?

9. tlo13

tlo13 Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm having same problem as eternalyperplxed
    did anyone find a solution for it?
    I cant get to reverse landscape when i change to slate mode

10. SergWerg

SergWerg Pen Pal - Newbie

The same problem here. Installed windows7 x64 build 7000, run all updates. Screen rotation can be changed in monitor settings manually, but there are 5 drivers listed as not available yet. Trying to install Vista64 drivers for them...