Win 7 and tc4400

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by bia.migueis, Oct 8, 2011.

?

Which windows are you using on your tc4400?

1. Windows 7(x86)

2 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Windows 7 (64-bit)

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. Windows Vista

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Windows XP

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. bia.migueis

bia.migueis Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi, I recently got a tc4400 from ebay. got it for 130$ and I think it was a greet deal to take notes in class (tons of math chesses make it almost impossible to type the notes). Anyway, it come with winxp and I installed win 7. I used x86 but after I was done l started wondered if should have installed 64-bit. So my question is which version are you guys using? Should I install the 64-bit version instead? Which one is better on the battery?

2. Agent 9

Agent 9 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Well, AFAIK It can only take up to 4GB of DDR2 (so 2x2GB), so the benefits of x64 are sorta not there (x86 will see 3.5-3.7GB of 4GB... and aside from not running a x64 application that is about the extent of the difference; plus the x64 win 7 will be a memory hog compared to x86)

so if you have 4GB of ram, or a specific need for a x64 application then go for the x64 install; otherwise I say don't bother, and put the money towards a SSD if you already have a decent amount of ram [~2GB]; if you find you need more ram after that then buy it later (a SSD will have a far greater effect than a full 4gb of ram)

3. bia.migueis

bia.migueis Pen Pal - Newbie

Thank you for your reply. I here Zgb ram and 1.8ghz dual core processor. I guess I'll keep my x86. :)

I'm not really worried about performance as much as I am about battery life... Wouldn't a SSD drain my battery faster? Any tips to preserve the battery?

4. Hattori Hanzo

Hattori Hanzo Scribbler - Standard Member

Actually, an x64 Windows would drain your battery faster, although it's a homeopathic effect. All the x64 binaries are bigger and need to be loaded from your HDD, which has to work a bit more, and the memory consumption is a bit higher :D

Agent9 is right with x64 not having real benefits in this case, but rather the opposite. I think the 945 Express can digest certain kinds of 4GB DDR2 modules, but they are high priced and I guess if you ask what is better you do not need an x64 system. If you would, the TC4400 should be too old and slow anyways.

If you're worried about battery life you should think about getting a new battery. If you still have the original one it will have lost a big part of its capacity. Also, there's a neat additional battery that's mounted to the bottom with an additional 52Wh and one pound roughly.

Depending on your usage, you could consider undervolting, but unless you know what you're doing it's just hassle and system crashes for barely anything.

If you wanna preserve battery you just have to keep the power usage down. Wifi uses quite some juice while it's idle, so if you don't need it, throw the switch. The backlight of your display also has a major impact, so either keep it low manually or just rely on the brightness sensor. If you don't use the machine for short times, put it to sleep. For longer times, which is anything above 20 minutes, you use less battery suspending it to disk while having the Wake on LAN feature disabled. But of course waking it up takes a lot more time.
    Also, keeping your system slim and free of the usual dozens of bad coded tools and gadgets does not only keep it snappy, but also reduces idle power consumption a bit.

An SSD will, unless it's an ill designed one, considerably reduce power consumption. Google datasheets for typical modern 2.5" drives and the Intel 320!
    The main benefit is still the enormous performance jump. I have a TC4400 right next to me that goes to a costumer next week that I tested with its original 80GB HDD and that now has an Intel 320. Although the SSD gets capped by the SATA I interface, the difference is dramatic to say the least.