Win 7/8 - GMA 500 and 600 - Let's bum rush Intel for driver support

Discussion in 'HP Slate' started by aaronb1138, Sep 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aaronb1138

aaronb1138 Pen Pal - Newbie

I now own both a HP Slate 500 and Fujitsu Q550. Both are great devices and I feel the greatest hindrance to both is poor graphics drivers. I have found that touch and inking on the Q550 is miles better than the HP to the point that I don't need tweaked DPI and window metric settings to hit selections by finger (version 2.5? vs 2.0 N-Trig). Surprisingly, I have better drivers for the GPU available on the HP Slate 500. Video on both is an exercise in frustration, but the HP no longer suffers from flickering Aero textures in Office and other programs.

I went on a bit of a rant at Intel's forum, and I think if others here chimed in for Intel to properly support at the very least the baseline features they promised with these GPUs, we would be in better shape in both Windows 7 and 8.

Here is some copy pasta from a post I made in the Q550 Windows 8 thread here:

Similar to the GMA 500 IEGD drivers popular with the HP Slate 500, someone might be able to cook up a custom GMA 600 driver with possibly better performance and support for both the Slate 2 and Q550.

Intel tools for developers and embedded applications (Z6xx):
    http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/embedded/hwsw/hardware/atom-z6xx/software

There is also a link to a petition in the thread below (my rant is here):
    GMA600 - Windows 8 driver

Direct link to petition (I think it would be more effective if we kept commenting in the thread at Intel's forum):
    Windows 8 support for Intel Atom Tablets

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  2. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

Let us know what you hear back from Intel if anything....I expect nothing. Intel also promised Linux support but never followed through.

One of the users on the forum, posting in (I think) the Fujitsu section, claimed that Intel's response to the driver issues and needing an improvement on the GMA600 wrote that Intel's answer was to "buy a newer model." If this is true then it indicates that Intel does not intend to support these chips going forward. Note that the PowerVR GPU is now gone for the N2600 dual-core Atom.

The Z650/670 were supposed to have Linux support, turboBoost to 1.9 GHz, and run smooth 1080p video. The launch was delayed for about 2 months and what finally went on sale was a disabled chip stuck at 1.5 GHz, no TurboBoost, and it will run 480p just fine but chokes on anything more than that...with no mention of the missing performance features. Intel's response has simply been to 'buy a newer model if you want this fixed.'

My trust in Intel and its product plans/execution, at least in the TabletPC business, is pretty low right now and has been for a while. I don't trust any of their promises anymore. Show me the data AFTER LAUNCH Intel, then I believe it.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  3. thadwald

thadwald Scribbler - Standard Member

I have also read that further development and support on the gma500 has ceased. Intel does need to continue providing support for this platform in embedded applications, which is why the embedded driver is more developed than the consumer driver.
    I have tried the embedded driver on the slate. It has several problems. For one, flash videos don't work. You can get around this by using an old version of flash but it somehow doesn't always work. Two, all drivers that I have tried in windows 8 rtm have slowed the device down. The default driver that windows 8 installed on the tablet provides for the smoothest operation, by far, that I have experienced on the slate. Installing either the hp one, the newest gma500 from intel, or the embedded driver brings you back to the jerky performance of windows 7.