WimBoot Dell Venue 8 Pro Guide

Discussion in 'Dell' started by EddCase, May 10, 2014.

1. EddCase

EddCase Pen Pal - Newbie

EDIT: 4th March 2015 - Just a quick note to say I'm working on this again. I'll try and post my progress as I go along from now on. I'm doing all of the code in AutoIt as I've not done any real coding since I was in college 15 years ago and have forgotten most of everything. o_O

I did all of this on a Fully Updated Windows 8.1 Update 64bit Desktop PC. and am Imaging a Dell Venue 8 Pro 32GB with Firmware version 5, This should work on a 64GB model but I have no way to test. I have seen other methods for getting this to work but I like to know whats being put on my devices. I am an IT technician but I'm no expert on using the windows imaging tools and have only built on others work. That being said I have followed this through a couple of times and it works for me. You will need a USB2GO cable, A USB Hub, USB keyboard and Mouse and 1x 8GB USB Stick for the WinPE WimBoot and some way to Install the Latest Windows 8.1 Update to your device (I used a second USB Stick) I would Recommend you fully charge your Dell Venue 8 Pro before attempting this.

Introducing WimBoot Setup Tool

v0.1.jpg

What Can it do?

PreRequisites
    Download and Setup Windows ADK for Windows 8.1 - it installs the Windows Preinstallation Environment and Deployment Tools (Warning! This is around a 3Gb Download/Install)
    Download the required Windows 8.1 Update files required to update the Windows PE Image to 5.1
    Download the Dell Venue 8 Pro Drivers
    Download UNetbootin which is used to create the USB stick Version 0.3 uses Rufus

Windows PE 5.1 Image
    This will do as it says will Using the Windows ADK Mount the 5.0 Image add The Update Files, and Dell Drivers Optimize and output an ISO

USB Stick
    Will copy the created custom Windows PE 5.1 ISO to a USB stick using UNetbootin Rufus, (Tick the box, click detect drives and then choose from the detected removable drives)
    Warning! although you will be prompted to double check if you select the wrong drive it will be formatted.

Download Version 0.3 Here!

Prerequisites

Replaced by my WimBoot Setup Tool (If you still want to do this manually see the attached 01 - Prerequisites.txt)

Create Windows PE 5.1 image

Replaced by my WimBoot Setup Tool (If you still want to do this manually see the attached 02 - Create Windows PE 5.1 image.txt)

Reinstall Dell Venue 8 Pro (I did a complete fresh install using the latest version of Windows 8.1 Update iso from Microsoft Technet on a USB Stick Created with Rufus)

1. Install Windows 8.1 Update x86

Using a USB Hub and USB2GO cable I connected Keyboard, Mouse and Bootable Windows 8.1 Update x86 USB Stick to the (Fully CHarged) Dell Venue 8 Pro (Used Rufus to Copy ISO to USB Stick)

Turn on Dell Venue 8 Pro Holding Volume Up

Select your Boot Device

Install Windows (Custom)

Once installed setup as normal (Follow standard install for now, it is possible to enter straight into sysperp audit mode at this point but I haven't tested it yet)

Install all Dell Drivers

Install all Windows Updates

Goto Control Panel, Programs and Features, Click Turn Windows features on or off, Tick .NET Framework 3.5 (includes .NET 2.0 and 3.0) and click OK

Restart Dell Venue 8 Pro

Check Windows Updates for any more updates.

Sysprep

1. Press Start find Command Prompt, Right Click and Run as Administrator

2. enter

Code:
    %windir%\system32\sysprep\sysprep.exe /audit
    and press return

Your Dell Venue 8 Pro will shutdown after this so start it up again

You will now be logged in as the administrator account, ignore the sysprep tool open on the desktop and

3. Delete the user account
    Go to control panel, User Accounts, Click manage another account select the account you used during setup, Select Delete the account, Select Delete Files, Select Delete Account.

4. Press Start, find Command Prompt, Right Click and Run as Administrator

enter

Code:
    Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup /ResetBase
    and press return

5. Now is the time to install any software you want always available in your image. Install as desired.

6. Once its completed, Set the Sysprep tool to OOTB and shutdown click ok

Capturing The Image

1. Connect your Windows PE Boot USB we created earlier to your hub and boot to it the same as we did for Windows

Select your Boot Device

2. enter in command prompt

Code:
    Dism /Optimize-Image /Image:C:\ /WIMBoot
    and press return

3. Once its completed (It takes a while) enter

Code:
    DISM /Capture-Image /WIMBoot /ImageFile:"D:\Images\install.wim" /CaptureDir:C:\ /Name:"DellV8P_WIMBoot"
    and press return

4. Once its completed (It takes an age) enter

Code:
    diskpart
    - Press Return
    Code:
    list volume
    - Press Return
    Code:
    select volume 1
    - Press Return (On mine it was Volume 2 because I had a USB DVD Drive attached it's labled as "Recovery")
    Code:
    assign letter M
    - Press Return
    Code:
    exit
    - Press Return

5. Copy winre by entering (In Command Prompt)

Code:
    mkdir d:\images
    and press return

then

Code:
    copy M:\Recovery\WindowsRE\winre.wim D:\Images
    and press return

6. Remove System and Hidden Attributes by entering

Code:
    attrib -H -S d:\images\winre.wim
    and press return

7. goto command prompt enter

Code:
    exit
    and press return

8. You Dell Venue 8 Pro will reboot at this point

Applying WimBoot

1. Connect your Windows PE Boot USB to your hub and boot to it the same as we did for Windows

Select your Boot Device

2. When it's back to the command prompt type

Code:
    d:\install.bat
    3. Wait for it to state "Progress is completed, exiting script, and enter

exit

and press return

4. Remove your USB Key

5. Back at the command prompt enter

exit

press return

6. Enjoy your Wimboot Dell Venue 8 Pro

(You can use the USB key again just boot to it and follow Appying WimBoot again)

Credits:

murphy78 from My Digital Life forums for the Scripts
    and Mainly robertnik from these forums View Profile: robertnik - Tablet PC Forums, Discussion and Support

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
    Gilson Rodrigues likes this.
  2. bubbakush

bubbakush Pen Pal - Newbie

quick question,without a usb hub can i use the add virtual keyboard to pe method,
    or boot to recovery bios and boot to the command prompt and navigate to the usb stick to execute install scripts?
    also what about plugging in a keyboard through the otg and navigating with the tab key?
    having a hard time getting the iso but its on its way

any help would be appreciated

Last edited: May 10, 2014
  3. EddCase

EddCase Pen Pal - Newbie

Probably.. You may have issues setting up windows on the tablet, you'd have to add the drivers to the iso, as with the bog standard install the touch screen doesn't work until drivers are installed and without the touch screen you cant install them. If you are going to try this please do a full system backup before you start. so you can revert if you get into trouble. You could always just try applying the updates to your current install, and when it gets to the sysprep stage also use the generalize option. but I haven't tested that at all so again backup first. take a look at this thread on how to create a backup if you need help. http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/del...ng-factory-backup-image-dell-venue-8-pro.html

Oh you'll also need to add a virtual keyboard to the Win PE USB stick too.... again in the Backup guide link you create a USB PE stick with a virtual keyboard, add the Windows 8.1 Update 1 updates to it may work... if you get stuck let me know. You will find it easier if you can get your hands on a USB hub.

4. bubbakush

i have made a working macrium usb recovery and i have my os backed up and a second copy made into a .vhd, tested and working.i also have been using a toshiba tablets recovery since i deleted mine doh,and it works just gotta install drivers,plus it can wipe the drive with toshiba uttilities so ill be ok.

ive downloaded the adk the driver cab and created the pe enviornment on my c drive
    all i have left is to get the iso finished grab the install.wim run some batch files and create the usb drive...
    the part im confused about is at the end it seems usb can boot to the recovery options so ill let you know how it goes in about 7 hours or so when i finush the iso

4. Deploy
    * Copy part.txt, deploy.bat to usbstick:\
    * Copy Boot.wim to usbstick:\sources folder
    * Boot from the usbstick, then select Troubleshoot>Advance Options>Command prompt
    * type
    * D:
    * deploy
    * once everything has finished close window and turn off tablet

yeah that where i got the virtual keyboard idea

using this method btw https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0Bwkn5ywIO9w7MnprUDhodWxjZXc&usp=sharing

5. EddCase

EddCase Pen Pal - Newbie

I did try that method yesterday before I decided to try it all manually, it works fine. but as the wim files are already created I'd rather know exactly what is going onto my device. But following my guide you create all the parts so you know exactly what you are installing.

bubbakush likes this.
  6. bubbakush

im very interested in this wimboot method and ive been extreamly happy with the info from this post and others
    i will be using them in the future when i can afford to buy a usb hub,but thats just not possible right now.
    but i do apreaciate your help. so i wont need the hub with this method?

7. EddCase

EddCase Pen Pal - Newbie

I only tried that method the once yesterday before I worked my way through my method, so I really can't remember if you'll need a usb keyboard, I'm thinking you'll be okay but can't be sure.

8. bubbakush

took me like 3 days to get the windows iso but i finaly did it ....
    the method i used took the recovery boot.win so i didnt need a keyboard ..
    widows is activated 22.2 gigs free thanks to everyone who helped me.

9. fvanrijt

fvanrijt Pen Pal - Newbie

Can you provide what license key needs to be provided to get the system activated after the Wimboot install? Is that the license that is put on the sticker with the Office 2013 Home & Student Edition accompanied with the PC? Or is not key entering required at all?

I would like to know this before trying...

Frank

10. EddCase

EddCase Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello Frank,

I didn't need to enter a key for mine to be activated, Not entirely sure if that is because it was picked up as a Dell device or Because the device has been associated with my Microsoft Live account. However I would recommend you take a look at this guide by BenH for creating a working backup before you start

http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/del...ng-factory-backup-image-dell-venue-8-pro.html

I also got my key by using the tool BenH suggests from here

KeyFinder | Magical Jelly Bean

Just watchout for the Yahoo toolbar installer, select custom and untick everything.

Hope that helps

Edd

Edit. Because I was curious I have just re installed and run the Jelly Bean tool, it's a completely new key to the one originally associated with my Venue 8.

Last edited: May 13, 2014