Will this speed up my computer?

Discussion in 'Windows Vista OS' started by FC1032, Mar 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FC1032

FC1032 Scribbler - Standard Member

Hello all,

I finally got my tablet PC!! Yay~~ it is a toshiba m750. Anyway back to my question:)

So i uninstalled most of the bloatware that comes with vista... It took quite a while and i was pretty satisfied with the clean up process at the end.

At this point, my computer started up in 40 seconds:) . I then installed MS office onto the computer... >< instantly the boot up slowed down to 1 minute (ok, its not a significant jump). And after further clean up and optimisation, it remain the same.

Is it possible to make a separate partition and install all programs there? Is it possible to mount it after boot process (meaning after desktop appears, mount the partition then run programs?)? If it is possible will boot process be faster?

Thanks in advance!

2. Frank

Frank Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

No, not possible and it won't decrease the boot times.

Better use sleep mode and hibernation.

3. tx2tabletbuyer

tx2tabletbuyer Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi FC1032 - my experience with Vista has been limited so far; however I have been methodically tweaking the performance on my TX2.

So far I have avoided the fresh re-install but it looks like I am going that way.

Here are guides I found very useful for tweaking Vista:

NBR Member Vista Tips and Tweaks Guide: (This is awesome!)
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=166532

Top Windows Vista Tweaks You Can Find: (A few other good things)
    http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=3945

With regard to installing program files on different partitions / drives:

- Yes it is possible to make a seperate partition and install programs there

- I am unsure about mounting after the boot process, unless the program is set to load on startup or use a service I dont suppose this would effect anything as Windows will not be checking for the files anyway - you could test this by installing to a USB stick and plugging the stick in after the boot has finished...if you do this can you let us know if you notice a difference.

I have never noticed a significant difference with program files located on different partitions or drives unless the rpm / access speed of the drives was significantly different.

What does make a difference is locating the pagefile on a different drive, on a USB stick (ReadyBoost?) or turning it off (if you have enough RAM) I can usually shave a few seconds off boot and shutdown and have generally faster running when I turn my pagefile off - ymmv, have a tinker!

4. adam.mt

adam.mt Super Moderator Senior Member

Yes, you can install programs to a different partition.

To delay mounting of this partition until after bootup has occurred will be complicated.

And no, it won't speed up boot time at all (if files need to be loaded at boot time, then they need to be loaded at boot time, you can't change this.........well, technically you can but it's way too complicated to explain here.)

Anyway, simply it's not worth the bother. Having the files on a different partition isn't the issue, it's what is loaded at boot. Suggest using MSCONFIG/Windows Defender/Sysinternal's AutoRuns/similar to disable some of the starting programs and leave it at that. You'll discover not everything can be disabled, some are required to run Windows properly, and others for software to run as it should.

Anyway, sleep/hibernate is always the way to go with a laptop/tablet, that's mere seconds for startup. Restarting from cold boot is just a waste of time for no real benefit.

5. Kyle Porter

Kyle Porter Veteran Moderator Senior Member

you are better off editing what programs run at start up.
    Code:
    Run -> msconfig -> startup -> then untick what you want at start up.
    I found Microsoft Groove slowed down my boot immensely, along with itunes, quicktime, etc.

6. FC1032

FC1032 Scribbler - Standard Member

thanks for all the suggestions!

At least i can now know that this would not work.

I have tried most of the suggested ideas already.

Perhaps maybe windows7 can improve the boot time a bit:)

Anyway thanks again for the ideas and answers!

7. Kyle Porter

Kyle Porter Veteran Moderator Senior Member

Windows 7 will definitely decrease your boot time over windows vista just for the fact it uses less resources. My 2710p boots in roughly 25 seconds, compared to the 65 seconds using vista.

8. Agent 9

Agent 9 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I have a HP Tm2, the "factory install" boots up in ~120-190 seconds, a "clean install" will boot in ~ 60 to 90 seconds, after I cleaned up the startups, configured it to my tastes, I used "Tune Up Utilities" now my boot time is ~15-20 seconds (from choosing Windows 7 in GRUB boot loader, to when I login) also ~2-3 seconds for recovering from sleep mode.

Basically you have to tweak your system a lot, I think Tune Up Util. did quite a bit of good for my speed in general (it helps you keep bloatware, ect... from running as well as as putting all the useful stuff in a easily accessible area) I'm sure there other software that does the same thing, but Tune Up Utilities works well for me.

Also "Windows Installer Clean Up" is a good program to get rid of all of software you want to uninstall (Its free if I remember correctly)

-Cheers

9. leaftye

leaftye Old timer Super Moderator

A faster boot time should be possible. My Fujitsu T4210 with Vista and Office 2007 w/Groove boots past fingerprint identification and to the desktop in 51 seconds. Over half that time is spent looking at the BIOS screen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.