Will they erase disk drive if sending 2730p back to fix latch issue?

Discussion in 'HP Elitebooks' started by ajwwong, Jun 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ajwwong

ajwwong Pen Pal - Newbie

Will they erase disk drive if sending 2730p back to fix latch issue?

I am worried that I might lose data if I send it in just for the latch.

Does this happen?

I suppose backing up makes sense, of course, to be safe I just would rather not have to go through the whole reinstallation bit just to replace latch.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

2. 970261

970261 Scribbler - Standard Member

back up. JIC (Just In Case). Better safe than sorry, could ask them to just replace the latch but u could never know what might happen.

3. beckyb

beckyb Scribbler - Standard Member

I'd pull the drive before sending it in. They shouldn't need the drive there just to fix something mechanical like the latch.

4. ScubaX

ScubaX Level 90 Mage Senior Member

Any time they open the case they will want to do a diagnostic to make sure everything is good. When I sent mine in for a switch, they even called me to get the passwords to run the diagnostics. On my bad switch they decided it was the chassis, so you never can tell what they will be replacing.

Back up your data and put in the documents that you don't want the software/data touched. They did not delete mine.

I have found on mine that once closed if I open and release the latch it works fine.

5. Slidje

Slidje whats a slidje?

Unlikely they`ll wipe it but you should always make a backup anyway, just in general.

I have an expresscard SSD which copies my work, documents and pictures folder using SyncToy. When i get home i plug that into my desktop and synchronise it. There are always 3 copies of my data and synctoy keeps them updated. It will only copy or replace the files that were changed and skips the rest. Any files it overwrites it puts in the recycle bin, just in case you accidentally overwrote a file that you didnt want to.
    Its a great little program, free from M$

I keep a much larger external drive to make complete disk images, using Acronis.

6. rjh

rjh Pen Pal - Newbie

What is wrong with the latch? Is it failing in tablet mode?