Will there be another tablet like the Asus Vivotab Note 8?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by person135, Jan 6, 2015.

1. alisaad619

alisaad619 Scribbler - Standard Member

if we ignore the technical reasons , for us as consumers there is advantages for each implementation , the small pen with slot is better for portability , and the bigger pen have better feel to it when writing . for me I prefer to have a better feeling pen (like the Surface Pro 3 pen ) and I can accept the downside of the big pen (but I can't accept the downside of the small pen )

the CPU is Intel Atom Z2760 1.33 GHz

I ordered one today , I will get it in 2 weeks and will wright my impressions about it

2. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

The silo is a pure plus in my mind. It is always there if you need it, but the rest of the time I can, and do, use my full size pen. The small silo pen is a backup. I guess there is the added cost of having to by that second full size pen, but that is only like 30 bucks.

3. alisaad619

alisaad619 Scribbler - Standard Member

I agree with you on some aspects.
    I got the thinkpad yoga this week ,which have the silo , but I didn't like the small pen , I'm getting the wacom feel carbon pen (about 70$) and will be trying them in the next weeks , and you are right the silo pen will be a backup but I will have a better idea about that after trying them for few weeks

4. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

That Asus is crazy thin. The pen looks like it's either Synaptics or Atmel

5. Mr. Boosh

Mr. Boosh Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Anyone try the Pipo W5? Seems to be a VTN8 clone but unsure if it's Wacom or not.

I'll be content if I can get an 8" pennabled tablet that dual boots Windows/Android. Until then, I'll keep looking.

6. person135

person135 Pen Pal - Newbie

Imagine being able to switch between android and windows just by dragging from the side

7. Mr. Boosh

You can do it with Ami DuOS. Best out of the current virtual options, but I'd rather have dedicated dual boot.

8. 1454

1454 Pen Pal - Newbie

DuOS is cool, but it can be very laggy. I have it on my ativ tab 7. I would rather a native dual boot solution, not that it exists.

9. Mr. Boosh

I've done quite a lot since that last post. I now have a Toshiba Portege Z10t-A2111 I scored for $650 on eBay (11.6" Haswell i7 tablet with detachable keyboard, 8GB RAM, wacom digitizer) that I'm dual booting with Windows and Android-x86. They're discontinued now and hard to find, but a new model is $1,500+ which is crazy expensive. I did a lot of research and specifically went with this because of the 7260AC WiFi card. It's the only card guaranteed to work with Android-IA builds (Intel's android project) and works with every Android-x86 build.

The current Lollipop build I'm using is literally flawless and not only does wacom work on it, the pressure sensitivity does as well. Antutu score is over 70,000 and the smoothest Android experience I've ever had.

Pretty much have the perfect tablet at this point (for my use case).

1454, Mesosphere and Bronsky like this.
  10. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

According to UMPCPortal, it's a Synaptics pen. Judging from the pen shape, I believe that's accurate:

[​IMG]

SchecterRocker did a video review of the new Synaptics digitizer on the Envy x2. Of all the Synaptics pens, he got the best performance with the Dell Active Stylus 750-AAGN. So that's probably the level of digitizer performance we're looking at for the T90 Chi.

I wonder why they switched out from Wacom...along with EP121, this the second time ASUS killed a niche-favorite Wacom tablet :tear:

Last edited: Feb 13, 2015