Will Radeon 3200 run Media Center/HDTV smoothly?

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by number2jcb, Jun 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pff1029

pff1029 Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm not totally stoked about the absence of HDMI on the tx2500 when my next TV, after my 20" CRT craps out, will surely be an LCD. But I still plan on extensively using Media Center for a little bit of music and video, but a lot of HDTV using my USB TV tuner stick. Will the Radeon IGP run Media Center smoothly and play back 720p/1080i with zero stuttering? My confidence is shaken b/c I couldn't even get a tx2000 to scroll through options in MC's main menu w/o stuttering a bit.

2. ScotchtapeLoser

ScotchtapeLoser Scribbler - Standard Member

That's odd that your tx2000 couldnt go through WMC without studdering a little bit. I use WMC as a DVR and to play music and I dont notice studdering. It would seem some machines work a little better than others depending on build or maybe even quality control. I seem to have less problems then other people with the TX2000. finger print reader works great, media center, touch, pen, fan isnt noisy, doesnt get super hot, etc...

On the main page they have a user review of the tx2500 and it shows some test scores that are pretty amazing for an integrated GPU.

3. Rex Orbis2

Rex Orbis2 I Bleed Black and Gold

Yeah I can't imagine you have any problems running any kind of video on the HD 3200. As far as I know the new GPU has built-in HD decoding that offloads most of work from the CPU. That alone should make a huge difference.

4. pff1029

pff1029 Scribbler - Standard Member

The tx2000 was a Circuit City in-store display model. I don't know if it was plugged in or running on battery on power saver mode.

The official review notes some stuttering on DVD playback in power saver mode. What do the Puma processors underclock to in order to save battery life?

5. Rex Orbis2

Rex Orbis2 I Bleed Black and Gold

Yeah I had some stuttering in power saver mode, but not in balanced. I do not know what it downclocks to because CPU-Z doesn't even recognize the type of AMD processor it is. It shows a constant 2100MHz regardless of the battery profile.

6. number2jcb

number2jcb Pen Pal - Newbie

Don't worry about hdmi, go to monoprice.com and get a VGA to Component Cable and plug into the Component inputs (should be about 5-10 dollars). You can set the resolution to the native of your flat screen and enjoy the same glorious picture of HDMI. HDMI is only required for extreme 1080P, extreme being true color 60fps. Otherwise, using the anti-aliasing and picture scaling of ATI will probably be better than your TV's processor.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.