Will not wake up from sleep, problem getting worse

Discussion in 'Asus' started by mm289, May 9, 2013.

1. mm289

mm289 Tablet Business User

So 5 months in and this thing is still trying my patience :mad:

Latest problem is about 4 weeks ago it started to not wake up from sleep if I closed the lid without shutting down and left it overnight. No problems with battery use etc as others have had, just in the morning would open the lid and nothing, nada, no way could I get the screen to come to life.

Ended up having to do a forced shutdown (power key held down for 5 secs) and then restart and all is fine.

The problem has been getting worse though so I did a refresh (PITA as I have a lot of programs/data installed:()
    Installed the latest driver package manually just in case (Asus LiveUpdate never has worked for me), but its no better.

In fact the problem is getting worse now, if the machine goes to sleep even for an hour now it wont come back to life - have to do a hard reset.

Getting really fed up and considering stopping using it as my day to day machine as it is so unreliable :(

Any suggestions?

Cheers,

MM

2. wataru

wataru Scribbler - Standard Member

I have the problem ever since I bought it (You are talking about an Intel Atom Z2760 tablet right?). Originally I was going to abandon the tablet because it always dies from long sleep. After numerous experiment, I found that some programs are not compatible with the new hardware, which made the tablet dead in sleep. The App that cause my problem is HD Alarm Clock (which works flawlessly on Surface but never worked on TF810) in the Windows Store. After I uninstalled the App, my tablet magically never fails to wake up again. Recently I installed plugins that ran as background service, and that caused my tablet to die again. The problem was fixed after I restore my tablet to the state before installing the plugin.

So I decided that the new Intel platform is not compatible with some applications that need background activity. I would advice you do a hard reset (refresh does not resolve the sleep issue as I tried), that would return you to the normal state. Create system restore point whenever you install new drivers or software - that would save you lot of trouble. In this way you can identify which program potentially causes the sleep problem. It's a trial and error process.

The sleep problem seems universal on Intel Clover Trail platform (you can check Lenovo thinkpad tablet 2 support forum on their website) and there currently is no solution as far as I know. The hardware has bugs in connected standby/power management and Intel still hasn't fixed it. An alternative solution is to enable hibernate instead of sleep. Go to advanced power option and change all sleep option to hibernate. You can edit the registry to add hibernate to the system power menu options. Hibernate needs ~30s to turn off the PC and another ~5s to turn on. It is not close to instant on as in connected standby, but it is 100% safe (just like traditional PC) and you don't have to worry about losing your work. I tried to use hibernate before, but I had to give up because I cannot justify that a tablet cannot be instantly on - it would be sold if the sleep problem is not solved.

Fortunately I thought I found the problem - incompatible background services. Do a full reset, don't install anything and watch whether the problem disappears. Good luck.

3. mm289

mm289 Tablet Business User

Thanks wataru, I will give the hibernate option a try, if not then it is a reset and another rebuild!

Cheers,

MM

4. wataru

I am still experiencing this lately. I plan to do a fresh install of windows 8 (w/o Asus bloatware). If that won't work, I may even revert to Windows 7 if only I can wake up my tablet.

It appears that Surface Pro has similar problem, which was solved by turning off the wireless adaptor to save power in the device setting. Unfortunately that doesn't work for me. I disabled the Wi-Fi adaptor completely with no avail.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  5. wataru

My problem is finally solved by reinstalling another copy of Windows 8. After trying all methods with no avail, I decided to try my chance before ... selling it. I downloaded Windows 8 Enterprise Evaluation to see if it were the bloatware/OEM bull**** that corrupted my system. The fresh install of Win8 works! I have been testing for weeks now and not a single sleep issue happened (except it used up its battery). Now I hate Asus more than ever to offer user a problematic Win8 that tortured me for four months. Fortuanately my university offered my a free Win8 Pro, so now my tablet is finally perfect.

For people who want a fresh install of Windows 8, you need a usb mouse/keyboard because the mobile dock won't be recognized before installing asus drivers. Download asus drivers from their support website (v.2.03) and install will cover all missing drivers in the control panel. You get rid of all the Asus crapware (save a lot of space), including the nice Asus camera App (MS camera works fully, but without much options).